Need the opinion of other experts out there about heavy duty trucks dignostic toolS . Which brand is most reliable.?/
Give GoingBroke a private message here, as I believe he just purchased some new diagnostic equipment.
QUANIE, I moved your question to the trucks section to give it more visibility and less noise. - Orchard Ex
I've researched this a bit this year since I'm trying to get set up myself. I guess it depends on what you want to do. For real in depth repair you really can't get better than laptop based brand specific set up. This is $$$ though, since you need a laptop, individual brand interfaces (the special wires that run from the truck to the computer) and the Brand software ex, Cat ET or Cummins Insight. OTC and others make those generic tools but with those I feel that first of all they are automotive from the start, so you are paying to be able to see Honda Accord ECM diagrams and their main deal is that they can give you truck DTC's..well my finger can get me DTC's to flash out on the dash a whole lot cheaper. From internet purchases I have gotten a used laptop, Cummins interface cables and the Inline Software program. A whole new program has come out since this was developed, so basically I am moving into the year 2000, but since I have more M11's and ISM engines than ISX's it will atleast get me some experience with this stuff. I'd like to pick up the CAT program too, but these days that would be like buying Pontiac Specialty tools. or maybe it will make it cheaper?
I prefer to use laptops over a diagnostic specialty tool. You can get a laptop with plenty of power and memory for around 400 dollars. I would make sure the software is XP Pro, many diagnostic software applications rely on IIS, which does not come with XP Home. As for software applications, that is going to depend on what you need to do. If you have a fleet of the same type of engine you will want to get the engine manufacture’s software. You can get generic software like Noregon which will allow you to retrieve faults from any engine. The problem you run into is that generic software will not allow advance diagnostics, calibration or regens. For the communication device, I like the Nexiq USB Bluetooth adapter, we use it in everyone of our shops throughout the U.S., You can use the USB cable or if you get a laptop with Bluetooth you hook up to the truck wireless. I have friend in Houston that I have been purchasing Nexiq devices from for the last 10 years, if you mention my name I am sure he will give you a discount. His name is Craig at Chalks Truck Parts. Tell him “Angel” told you to call. http://www.chalks.com/contact.html
I was pretty much wrong, my experiment is going down the toilet.
CAR FANS C800 on obd2tool.com is fully optimized based on the OEM scanner, which enhances the comprehensive diagnostic capability of the diesel vehicle. Some of the functions are based on the advanced technology accumulated by the R & D team for many years, and are superior to other similar diagnostic products in the industry. The main diagnostic functions include reading the version information, reading/clearing the fault code, actual values, actuators, advanced function (special function, matching settings, functional test, diesel calibration) and so on.