Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Did Detroit make a straight 8-71?

oarwhat · 2016-05-13 13:36

Like the title says did Detroit make a straight 8-71? Not a V. My buddy says he's looking at a boat with them in it. I've never heard of one. Thanks

Replies39
  1. #1RZucker2016-05-13 13:58

    Near as I know... No, but with Detroit Diesel, you never know. More than likely its a 6-71 inline.

  2. #2Nige2016-05-13 14:45

    The biggest in-line 71 Series was the 6-71. The 8-cylinder 71 series engines were all Vs.

  3. #3lantraxco2016-05-13 14:56

    8-268, but I think perhaps it would look a bit bigger than the 71 series.....

  4. #4RZucker2016-05-13 15:13

    Much bigger! I've worked on Cleveland V8s and 16s, they were about 9' tall above the deck. A boat with a pair of inline 8s, would be a big boat indeed. I think they were about 720 HP apiece at 620 RPM. Took about 425PSI for the distributed air start to work. Each cylinder had an extra cam to control air admission for startup. And once they were running that big blower could sure howl, especially the V16s.

  5. #5Former Wrench2016-05-13 16:58

    71 Series DD 2, 3, 4, & 6 inline 6, 8, 12, & 16 V's.

  6. #6oarwhat2016-05-13 17:21

    That's what I thought thanks guys!!

  7. #7lantraxco2016-05-13 17:22

    Don't forget the inline 6 was used in inline tandem, twin, and QUAD power units! Would like to see a quad running, doubt if there's any left anywhere.

  8. #8Former Wrench2016-05-13 17:35

    The last quad I saw was in the 80's in the Kenai, AK area. It was powering an ancient drill rig, way undersized for the day.

  9. #9RZucker2016-05-13 18:11

    For sheer noise value, try a 6-110 twin unit. worked on one powering a drilling mud pump years ago. It has since been refitted with twin Cummins 855s.

  10. #10excavator2016-05-13 18:36

    Is it possible to mount two 4-71s end to end? I would think it is.

  11. #11old-iron-habit2016-05-13 18:54

    The 16V-71 is two 8V-71s mounted flywheel to flywheel so I suppose it is possible. One would be reverse rotation. Don't know why one would though.

  12. #12kshansen2016-05-13 19:16

    Not really or at least the ones I worked on. A more accurate discription would be nose to nose. Those were two specially designed V8 blocks bolted together and the crankshaft was actually two sections bolted together. There were two sets of timing gears driving a total of four camshafts. Two blowers one driven off each end of the engine. But only one governor with linkage connecting all four injector racks. One water pump and one oil pump and four 4-71 heads with some special fittings to connect the fuel and water passages between them. I never saw one in person but have seen some pictures of 24V-71 engines, same idea but using 12V-71 blocks modified to do the same. Not sure if they were regular production on a limited/experimental design.

  13. #13mowingman2016-05-13 19:45

    I am thinking 6-110. Maybe he counted the cylinders wrong when he looked at it. That was a common engine found everywhere in the 50's and early 60's.

  14. #14lantraxco2016-05-13 19:51

    CAT 3500 series work like that as I recall, nose to nose with a dampener coupling between. The 3516's for sure, and I think the 12's.

  15. #15Nige2016-05-14 03:44

    Your memory is failing you Don. The 3512 & 3516 are both single-block engines with a single crank, although the 3516 does have two joined camshafts on each side. You might be thinking of the 3524 which was the original engine used in the 797, it was basically two 3512s coupled together.

  16. #16old-iron-habit2016-05-14 08:53

    The one's we had were in an big air compressor mounted to the back of a brand new 9310 American Crane driving the hammer on a Conmaco 300 hammer. I remember it having twin starters one on each side mounted near the middle one facing either way. Maybe they were a special block and not coupled back to back as I thought. That was a long time ago. It was a direct mount to the compressor. We had two of these stacked on top of each other instead of counterweight. That was a noisy outfit between the 2 16-71s screaming and the 44,000 lb. hammer pounding. I roosted 8 miles away and could hear it clearly from home when off shift. We ran them for 24/7 with only holidays off for almost two years at Beulah, ND in about 1978 to 80 building the Antelope Valley power plant.

  17. #17lantraxco2016-05-14 15:03

    Wouldn't surprise me to hear it Nige, pity I can't seem to selectively forget any of the bad stuff, only stuff I might need to know. I do remember the camshafts as I recall there were four separate part numbers and between new, reman, and old and new TYPE you had sixteen possibles to sort and get in the right corners. Or I could have dreamt that too, lol.

  18. #18Former Wrench2016-05-16 13:14

    The V16's are 2 V8 blocks attached nose to tail. There are some coupling pins that are bored and tapped. The blocks are slid close together and coupled with the clamp assemblies. The clamps are left loose with the blocks laying upside down. A straight steel shaft is bolted in the main caps to align the main bore then the clamps are torqued. Once the plug is removed from the main galley assembly can begin.

  19. #19Nige2016-05-16 14:27

    Pretty much correct, although the old type cam no longer exists there is now a Reman Upgrade-to-New option (your old cam as a Core and a guaranteed new cam in exchange) as well, so 12 Part Numbers rather than 16. Somewhere I have a photo of a 3516 that failed a piston skirt and not only managed to break both camshafts on that side of the engine but split the block from top to bottom as well. Happy daze .......

  20. #20lantraxco2016-05-16 14:58

    Kind of like dirty dishes, if you break it you don't have to fix it... LOL

  21. #21kshansen2016-05-16 15:29

    Are we talking 16V-71's here? Because that does not sound like the 16V-71's I worked on. Those had a series of bolts to hold the two blocks together, the fun ones were the upper ones on the outer edge of the blocks. Needed a long 1/2 drive extension with an allen head socket on the end to reach from one end of the block (1/2) to the other. We had the special Kent Moore tool to align the blocks. It located on two mains in one 1/2 of the block assembly and only one on the other. We did our joining of the blocks with them standing on end. Get the alignment tool in place and then nudge the upper half block to get the pan rails as close to perfect as possible then tighten the bolts that joined them. OK, had to dig out the manual to refresh my memory, here's a couple pictures out of the manual: The bolts at the "B" location are the ones you have to get to by going the length of the block half through the water passage.

  22. #22Former Wrench2016-05-16 16:13

    You took me down memory lane with the photos. Exactly what I was trying to describe.

  23. #23kshansen2016-05-16 19:20

    The shop we did our engine and transmission work in was just big enough to fit a Mack ten wheeler or a Cat 966C. After we assembled an engine we always started them up and ran for a short time to check for obvious problems like leaks and such. It was something to crank up a twin turbo 16V-71 with no exhaust on the turbos then crack the governor wide open. A 16V-71 with no load of any kind not even a fan or alternator gets to 2100 rpm right quick!

  24. #24old-iron-habit2016-05-16 19:21

    Boy, When them blocks are stripped down, they looks pretty much the same on each end. No wonder I thought they were back to back. Thanks for the photos Ken. The way they made power back in them days is so interesting. And then the adaptability to change the engine into so many different configurations. We have seem to have lost that in todays world.

  25. #25old-iron-habit2016-05-16 19:24

    Was the 12-71 a single block or made up of two 6V-71s?

  26. #26RZucker2016-05-16 22:38

    12V71 was one solid block. But the 12V92 was 2 blocks.

  27. #27oarwhat2016-05-17 07:24

    Man those Detroits are like Legos. The engineers must have sat around dreaming up ways to put them together.

  28. #28knares2016-05-17 09:55

    i worked on a motor in a boat, same type as John Wayne’s yacht. Built for the war as mine sweepers they, if i remember right, had two straight eights built by the company Detroit’s bought the seventy one motors off. They looked similar to the seventy one but were bigger. I am sure someone will know more about these than i

  29. #29Former Wrench2016-05-17 11:43

    This is sketchy because it has been so long but I sort of remember the GM 268 Cleveland series. The boat engine might have been one of those.

  30. #30mitch5042016-05-17 23:43

    Sounds like Gm Diesel, which became Detroit, 110 series. They may have called it a "Grey Marine" that's the company that marinized the GM Diesels for the Navy and others.

  31. #31John C.2016-05-18 00:07

    I've seen the 268 engine in navy barges for power and the 278 in larger boats. The 110 was pretty popular in some equipment in the 1960s. I know of a fleet of big Haul Pac trucks that came out with 149 mills. On the ship I was on the utility boats had the low block Gray Marine engines, the officers boat and Captains gig ran the Detroit 6-71 rail car slant engines. The Grays were two valve heads while the Detroit engines were four valve heads and N injectors. The rail car engines had a real load bark and those things would fly across the water. On the subject of which end of the block is which I was told that it could be put together either way. The end plates would supposedly fit on ether end. Is that true? It does strike me as odd if the crank could go in either way. John Wayne's yacht used to be moored up in Sequin at the John Wayne Marina. It has been awhile but it was still moored there a couple of years ago when I ventured out that way. I was told back in the Navy days that the old sweepers ran on Alcos and Packards. I hadn't heard of the GMs of that small of size in those boats.

  32. #32kshansen2016-05-18 10:13

    On the inline Detroits it is correct block can go either way same with the head. Timing gears always at the rear(or as far as I know!). And like the V engines they can be built with clockwise or counter clockwise rotation. Just need to be sure you have the correct cams and timing gears and oil pump for the application. Cams always turned in the same direction despite the rotation of the crank. Heck there were even some where the crankshaft was vertical instead of horizontal!

  33. #33John C.2016-05-18 20:14

    Thanks, I always pictured them as the do anything and everything diesel engine.

  34. #34mitch5042016-05-18 21:50

    How old were the captain's gig and the officer's boat? They went to calling them Detroit instead of GM, and using 4 valve heads, maybe sometime in the '60s or maybe '50s. :beatsme The tugboat I work on sometrimes was built in 1915 as a steam tug, and repowered in 194? with a 16V567. It has a 471 and a 271 for gensets. They say GM Diesel on the valve covers, and the 84 y/old captain will vehemently correct you if you call them Detroits.

  35. #35old-iron-habit2016-05-18 23:01

    I'm curious also when the name changed. Our local lumber yard had a decent looking 1954? GMC single axle tractor setting around for years with a 4-71 GMC Diesel in it. It clearly had GMC cast into the side of the block. Of course I was working out of town when the lumber yard changed hands and new owners tried to sell it and no takers so they quickly sent it to China.

  36. #36RZucker2016-05-18 23:38

    I've seen a bunch of early/mid 60s 71 series engines that had rocker covers embossed "General Motors Diesel", also seen a few stamped "GMC". Somewhere I have an old 6=110 manual (mid 50s) that states "Detroit Diesel", even though I have never seen "Detroit Diesel" on a 6-110 rocker cover.

  37. #37John C.2016-05-19 00:56

    The ship was commissioned in 1973 but the boats I had heard it was common to have boats passed down from other ships when they were decommissioned. The U boats I'm sure were a lot earlier than the P boats.

  38. #38rayman2016-06-08 19:44

    That engine has to be an 8-268A, these engines were originally built as submarine auxiliary generators but later used as marine propulsion units in YMS vessels. They later came in 3-4-6-8 configurations. A very nice and smooth running machine. 6-110 introduced in 1945 until 1965. The first for Budd railcars and had centrifugal blowers. later for off highway (Euclid and others) with Roots blowers. The8- 268A was the smallest straight 8 made by Cleveland division -General Motors.

  39. #39walkerv2016-07-07 13:46

    If this boat the op friend is looking at it must be huge its not really tall butlong