US parts source for used parts? I'm looking at either replacing the engine (Leyland 4/98) or an in frame. I only use it 100-200 hours a year on average so spending money on a replacement doesn't seem like a good idea. Rick
There's a JCB on Craigslist in Potsdam , NY with a bad trans. shipping would be a killer though. Tough parts to find I think. Steve
Wrong engine, I need the Leyland. But thanks! Rick
There sure are enough leyland tractors sitting around in pieces. Is that a common tractor engine? I don't know squat about the motors, but they all seem extremely crude, which can be a good thing in this case. What is the engine doing and what do you expect to need for an inframe if you go that way, just the kit, or anything else?
It's got a lot of blow by and it's getting noticeability weak. Also suffering from low oil pressure. If new bearings and fresh pistons, liners and rings can get it back up to runnable/usable condition that's all I'm looking for. With an in frame I may have to have the valves done too. Ain't many Leyland's sitting around here in west MN. Rick
I have a Nuffield 4/65 (almost a Leyland 270) it has the 3.8L BMC diesel (older version of the 4/98), I've had good luck getting new engine parts through Sparex http://v2.ca-en.sparex.com/SearchResults.aspx?MakeID=6668&Page=0&Sort=0&SearchContext=Undefined&InitialSearchQuery=MakeID%3D6668&F1=M|6668|1|Leyland|0&F2=C|7314|1|Tractor+Parts|0&F3=M|10105|2|Leyland|205&F4=M|10123|3|270|96&F5=C|7327|2|Engine%20Parts|29&F6=&F7=&F8=&F9=&F10=&Refined=1 or A&I https://www.allpartsstore.com/Search.htm?CategorySeq=S&SelcBrand=JCB&SelcMachn=BACKHOE&SelcModel=&SelcSectn=E&SelcSubsc=EK1184
Getting the parts isn't an issue. I was kinda hoping that I could find a used engine. I've had no luck finding one at all here in the US or Canada. Rick
I bet it would be cheaper in the long run to just rebuild your current engine, at least you will know what you have. I highly doubt you will find a good used engine for an old Leyland in North America, any ones you do find will probably be in equal or worse condition. Possible someone out there is hoarding all the good ones in their barn somewhere! If you do find the stash, let me know! :drinkup
Yea I have to agree. Way back when there were some dealers for both Leyland and Long here. Neither gained much popularity. That elusive stash...if I only knew where it was! Rick