Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

did he call before he bit?

dayexco ยท 2007-02-01 13:38

how would you have liked to have to respond to a service call and come up on this?

Replies14
  1. #1Jeff D.2007-02-01 13:54

    Dayexco, did you forget to supply a link, or something, with it?

  2. #2dayexco2007-02-01 14:11

    duh!!!

  3. #3Jeff D.2007-02-01 14:18

    That's too bad. I read a story yesterday about an Eagle in Alaska that was carrying a deer head. He didn't quite clear the high tension lines with the added weight, and ended up in the same condition.

  4. #4Steve Frazier2007-02-01 19:05

    I think someone is pulling your leg Jeff. Unless that eagle somehow touched 2 wires at once, it wouldn't have been hurt. It's the same thing as seeing birds roost on power lines, they are not providing ground to the circuit. In the case of the bear, he completed the circuit to ground because he is in contact with the ground.

  5. #5Orchard Ex2007-02-01 19:48

    Sometimes big birds get toasted by trying to land on a power pole and hitting with one talon on the pole and the other on a line. Had a great horned owl do that on the farm when I was a kid. The wife has a taxidermy'd Bald Eagle from Alaska in their office that met the same fate. She says a few Osprey's have been cooked on the base that same way. (Wife works for Natural Resources BTW) Now if it were 2 eagles, and they were carrying the deer head on a string, suspended under the dorsal guiding feathers... But that would suggest that deer heads were migratory...

  6. #6Jeff D.2007-02-01 20:15

    It must have touched two wires apparently. It happened Sunday in Juneau.:yup Here's the USA Today story: http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2007-01-29-eagle-outage_x.htm?csp=34

  7. #7Lashlander2007-02-01 21:32

    There are hundreds of eagles electrocuted in Alaska every year. Its usually when they land or go to take off with their wings spread. They roost on the pole cross bars and hit the wires. The electric companies have spent 1000's of dollars putting bars above the wires to try to eliminate the problem but it still happens. This time of year its bad because so many are around.

  8. #8Steve Frazier2007-02-01 23:06

    Very Interesting! I've never seen an eagle up close, I guess their wing span is much greater than I thought!

  9. #9Lashlander2007-02-01 23:32

    I think some of them can go up to 8'. I was 20 years old before I saw one in Wyoming but there are thousands of them here. Every now and then they steal someones little dog when their out in the yard or out for a walk. A few times they have ripped guys scalps open if they get to close to their nests. Their talons are razor sharp.

  10. #10Dwan Hall2007-02-01 23:35

    That one knocked power out to my house for 2 hours. Happens a lot here heres one on the deck I think they are both thinking should I?

  11. #11Ford LT-90002007-02-02 02:27

    There is bald eagles in the trees around here during the spring and summer season. Have two trees by my parents house they roost in. I have been on my parents beach with the eagles in the trees watching me seeing if I will get some food for them. They are very tame people feed them some people if they hold up a rock cod the eagles will come and grab it and fly away. I have been face to face with a bald eagle you just stand still and they will leave you alone. You have to be carefull about small pets the eagles will swoop down and grab them. It all depends on how hungry the eagles are. One of the restaurant owners has a pet bald eagle they feed it steak its funny watching it walk. A bald eagle is no match for a seagull or a raven because a bald eagle can drown real easy. Seen gulls get on a eagles back when they are near the water once a bald eagle gets wet its screwed. Its feathers are not as water resistant as a seagull. When its feathers get wet the eagle gets heavy and has troubles flying.

  12. #12Tegian2007-04-16 11:09

    The real fun begins after the freshly toasted birdie falls in the tinder dry grass under the powerline. Not at all unusual that birds causes grass/forest fires here. There was a grass fire just last week their the fireman found a well cooked bird in the outbreak area after putting it out. Working as a handyman I have been called out to remove a dead stuck squirrel. His head was pressed in a hole between the wall and roof so firmly I had to use a crowbar to get him out. Glad no larger animals have gotten in trouble in my area

  13. #13coopers2007-04-20 23:07

    The biggest problem we have when we hunt our birds (I was a falconer for a while) is sweating bullets as our birds land on top of transformers! Every now and then a falconer watches his/her bird die and fall to the ground. It sucks! The other problem we have here in WA state is when falconers hunt ducks with their falcons (peregrine, prairie or gyr falcon, or some sort of hybrid) they have to stop hunting in January because the bald eagles become so numerous that once the falcon catches the duck and goes to the ground there's an eagle on top of it eating the falcon! Believe it or not, as 'slow' as an eagle may look, golden or bald eagle, they are very fast and agile birds. Especially the golden eagle. A young falcon who isn't experience can easily be out flown by an eagle and caught in the air for food. It's happened before. Blake WA

  14. #14richardcatdaddy2007-05-05 20:00

    subject We have a few Bald Eagles here in Ky but no great numbers I dont think.From what I have read a six foot wing span is normal.:usa