Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dielectric Grease

bmckenzie · 2025-07-29 20:15

I'm a big preventative maintenance guy and was wondering if doing a cleaning/ coating of dielectric grease on all the fuses and relay contacts on the fuse boxes and wire plugs on a skid steer may help with not having to chase down electrical problems later in life. I like to pressure wash the dirt and dust out when done with a job and always worry about getting moisture in the connections. Any feedback one way or the other ?

Replies4
  1. #1Coaldust2025-07-29 21:44

    Electrical lubricant Hi Can anyone with experience in electronics please advise if using a lubricant such as the following in an excavator is a good or bad idea? Reason I’m asking is that I have the cab somewhat apart due to removing and cleaning the air conditioning system and I had to disconnect a few wiring... HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2Nige2025-07-30 06:08

    The grease is only half the story IMO. To make any connection more resistant to pressure washing requires that it be wrapped with amalgamating tape to provide a better waterproof barrier in addition to the grease inside the connector. See if the attachment gives you any ideas. This THREAD may also give you a few pointers.

  3. #3HarleyHappy2025-07-30 08:14

    The problem with Dialetric grease, is people think it helps with contacts. It is non-conducive, so if you get it between the contacts, it won’t work. It is only meant to help with corrosion. I do like that battery terminal spray that is red but have no testing to prove it works. I use Dialetric grease sparingly and do coat fuses and connectors and it seems to help.

  4. #4bmckenzie2025-07-30 11:54

    Thank you for the CAT attachment, just what I was looking for.