hi Folks, A Perkins 1506 engine driving a generator and equipped with a HEUI fuel system has shown signs of diesel contamination in the engine oil tank. How can it be determined whether the contamination originates from the HEUI fuel pump or from one or more fuel injectors? Additionally, if an injector fault is suspected, what methods can be used to identify the defective injector?
The easiest way IMO is to reseal all six injectors first. If the fuel leak into the oil stops then that was the cause. The issue is that although it might be only one injector leaking the seals on all of them will have the same number of operating hours. Therefore they should all be replaced before one or more of the others suffer the same fate.
Drop your fuel flter, add UV dye for fuel systems. Remove valve cover. Block off external light. Start and run observing with UV light. See where the glow begins. This requires investment in proper tooling and fluids. Much cheaper to follow guidance provided by Nige.
My suggestions were somewhat influenced by the OP's location.
If logged in using CAT ET, would I be able to perform any diagnostics?
ET will be of no help to detect an internal fuel leak I’m afraid.
I was thinking that if I cut off one injector solenoid at a time while monitoring fuel pressure or fuel consumption, I might be able to observe a noticeable change.
in my opinion you would be extremely lucky if that happened.