Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Diesel algea in excavator fuel tank

85j100 ยท 2013-02-03 20:10

Hi I love this sight hoping someone can recommend cure for algea in diesel tank and system, also what does it look like Im going off of someone elses advice tha I have this problem, brown paste in filters and water seperator. thanks

Replies10
  1. #1powerjoke2013-02-03 20:30

    Black nasty shlt floating around and getting sucked up against strainers and growing on the inside of suction tubes etc. Have you recently started using bio-fuel or running a machine that's been sitting for 6mo or more? Either drain and flush the tank or just keep changing filters. You have brown paste? Is it like water and oil?

  2. #285j1002013-02-03 20:41

    Thanks for your reply, black junk is appearing in the fuel screen at the engine, green brown (im colorblind) at the water seperator, have not used biofuel but machine sets idol 3 months at a time.

  3. #3Delmer2013-02-03 20:49

    Add a spin on prefilter so you can change a cheap filter that's loaded up with garbage more often than the better stock filters. Drain or siphon out of the bottom of the tank to see if there's water/rust/garbage in there. If the tank walls and bottom are coated with anything more than a light rust then it's probably easiest to take the tank off and clean it. I like to run the tank low and only add few hours worth of fuel at a time until you're confident you've got the worst out. Even add 50% biodiesel if you can get it, it will help loosen some gunk and get it into your filter (into the injectors if the gunk is already in the pump)

  4. #485j1002013-02-03 20:52

    Thanks will try filter idea

  5. #5HATCHEQUIP2013-02-03 21:54

    We run into this alot try some fppf brand thats called killem and double the dose since you allready have it. It will stop it from growing in your tank but you will still have the dead stuf in there that will have to be drained or changed out with filters till its gone. then start pretreating since it sets so long this stuff does a good job for us we get it at oreilly

  6. #6DoyleX2013-02-03 22:24

    Ive had nightmares with this for years. Keep your fuel fresh, no older than 2-3 months. Only put it what fuel you will use and leave the tank empty. Otherwise the black will cover the whole tank and really plug everything. It wont grow below 40 or 50 degrees. Yes keep a good supply of filters. The killem and power service bio kleen work good and is a good idea to shock treat before storage. Good Luck!

  7. #7roddyo2013-02-03 23:06

    You fuel supplier should give you some high power alge killer.

  8. #8Delmer2013-02-03 23:11

    To be clear, I use biodiesel and running low on fuel to get over the problem in the short term. I'm not arguing against leaving the tank empty, but maybe drain it completely and blow a quart of motor oil in there to keep it from rusting? If the machine isn't ever used much, I'd abandon the old tank put a plastic outboard tank on it when you need to use it. I'm convinced plastic keeps fuel cleaner and definitely fresher. The "risk factors" for diesel fuel are age, biodiesel content, and water (maybe rust and dirt feed them too?). Keeping the tank full reduces condensation getting into the tank, but means you have more fuel aging, which is not a problem if you burn it all up every few months, but if you only burn off a little and fill it up you're just feeding the little buggers.

  9. #9MX452013-02-03 23:13

    G'day, Purchased an excavator with algae blocking up the glass filter as well. Used existing fuel down to very low - used double dose of bug killer - refilled with fresh fuel and prior thoroughly cleaned glass bowl filter and replaced finer filter. No trouble since but I keep up the bug killer from two different companies. Best solution is to have a clear glass bowl filter prior to fine filter and drain if any water and also you can see the cleanliness of the fuel and any garbage coming from the tank. Recently had to pull 140 litre tank from Manlift - took it out as easier to clean - lost of dead black gunk and other stuff like wooden dipstick someone had used and lost anchor chain from fuel cap & a bunch of lead shot???!!! Pull the tank - it is worth it if you have not owned since new. Good luck. MX45

  10. #10mitch5042013-02-04 01:38

    Drain the tank, change the filters, add Startron diesel additive. I know the claims sound like snake oil, but it works very well. BTW, the cheapest place I have found to get is is West Marine, believe it or not. It is very good at stabilizing fuel in storage, too. I am running my pre-electronic diesels on re-claimed (salvaged) fuel from closed down tank farms. I first ran it through a fuel polisher made from tugboat fuel filters, then mixed the Startron in, I have run it with no problems for 2 years, and some of it is at least 4 yrs old. (Yeah, I know the thought strikes fear into a lot of you guy's hearts, but if you get $40,000 worth of free fuel, you can afford to try things)