Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Diesel Fuel Additive

kospiller ยท 2013-05-01 13:57

I have a Komatsu D31 dozer with 4200 hours on it. I don't use everyday. Sometimes it might sit as much as 3 weeks between uses and then maybe only a couple of hours use. Should I add something to the fuel? What is a good recommendation? Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1kospiller2013-05-02 20:38

    Someone has to have an opinion.

  2. #2g_man2013-05-02 20:57

    I am no expert so can't tell you what you should do but I use my TD7G intermittantly and sometimes it sits for a couple months. This is what I do and so far I am OK. I keep the fuel tank full to minimize condensation. My fuel filter has a water separator which I drain often and a couple times a year and especially after a long set I open the water drain on the bottom of the fuel tank. I get very little water. I also use Stanadyne as a fuel additive for it's lube characteristics as much as anything else. I am in northern VT so your climate in AL will be more warm and humid and water might be a tougher issue than here.

  3. #3Delmer2013-05-02 21:32

    Same disclaimers as gman, but I do it a little different. I use a small plastic tank instead of the original steel tank sized to run 8 hours or more. I think plastic tanks have less issue with condensation, contamination, and algae. I know that you will have fresher fuel with a smaller tank. If you keep a big tank topped up and use it that sparingly, you'll have fuel that's years old. That's not good for fuel, and if there's any water, or biodiesel you'll have a mess. Plus with a small tank, if the fuel gets questionable, just take the tank off, slosh it around and use it to start your next bonfire or put it in your buddies Dodge. edit, If you use it enough to run the tank low a couple of times a year, you'll keep the fuel fresh, and not want to deal with a small tank. No biodiesel though, I think Deere says biodiesel lasts 30 days!

  4. #4tuney4432013-05-02 22:54

    I run Schaeffers Diesel Treat every fill and for everything diesel.Lubricity of dry fuel should be everybodys concern.If you go over to the Diesel Place,check out the lubricity study thread.Best additive study going by far.

  5. #5lantraxco2013-05-02 23:33

    As g_man said, keep the tank as full as possible, and buy a biocide diesel fuel treatment at your local parts house, equipment dealer, farm store, etc. Follow the instructions on the label. Fuel filters are cheap, so change them two or three times a year. Just my $.02