Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5 94J NEED Help

Morgadr ยท 2013-05-01 23:12

I have a Cat D5 serial number 94J1527. We were using the Dozer on some really rocky ground and the plates holding up the front of the machine have fallen out. I would call these like the leaf springs but I'm sure thats not what they are called. Does anybody have a clue of how many plates are actually suppose to be together and how they are suppose to stay together? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1Motat2013-05-02 04:17

    Could you give more imfo. I know 96J has islolating bar . Older machines had leaf springs. Regards

  2. #2Morgadr2013-05-02 07:27

    I'm pretty sure it's just like a leaf spring. I have four plates that are 1 inch thick by like 6 inches or so wide that are long enough to span from middle of each track. I believe the plates have a hole in the middle like there is suppose to be some sort of a lag bolt or something holding them together.

  3. #3d9gdon2013-05-02 07:49

    Those are the equalizer springs and they're available at your local Cat dealer and probably aftermarket also (Heavyquip, Regal Corp, Value Part). You can find them used here: http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...5&lp=&pcid=&dlr=0&pref=&ltf=&cdts=&cdte=&dgn= Looks like there is 5 leaf springs plus one plate on top all held together by 4 u-bolts. You can get a diagram of it at your Cat dealer.

  4. #4Motat2013-05-02 16:00

    Surely there must be the large middle section with isolating pin under machine. This clamps the leaf springs together with bolts,and yes there is a hole and bolt in middle to stop them shifting along with'' shackles'' further out. I find it hard to beleive you could work a dozer without those .For one thing ,its possible for the whole middle of dozer to wind over backwards and squash driver,as they also have a saddle OVER ends on tracframe to prevent this. Surely I am missing something here.??? What yr is D5 ??? Regards

  5. #5d9gdon2013-05-02 19:11

    This was a good time for me to learn how to save and post pictures from SIS after I updated to Djvu version... and a really late cold front got here and the wind's blowing about 50 mph. There you go...

  6. #6Morgadr2013-05-03 12:35

    Thanks for the help and the pictures. I hope to work on it this weekend.