Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Diesel fuel and hydraulic mix mix-up.

Garrie Denny ยท 2011-11-23 01:26

Hi, I just put 15 Lts of Diesel into my Hydraulic tannk by mistake on my bob-cat, The question i need answering is this, If i drain the hydro tank and replace withw hydro oil would i be able to use the diluted hydro oil and diesel i drain as fuel dont really want to throw away 60 lts of mix if i can use it .

Replies6
  1. #1Steve Frazier2011-11-23 01:34

    I wouldn't be afraid to do it with an older mechanically injected diesel. If you have a bulk storage tank, I'd dump it in there to dilute the hydro fluid further. You can also use it as heating oil if diluted further.

  2. #2willd8r2011-11-23 03:31

    I run 10% two stroke oil in my TD5 Landrover makes it quieter smoother more powerfull so should be ok

  3. #3Nige2011-11-23 07:40

    If you put 15 litres of fuel in your hydraulic tank and then when you drained it you got 60 litres of fuel/oil "mix" then your mix is aprox. 25% fuel, 75% hydraulic oil. Based on that I would not just throw it into your fuel tank in one hit. As Steve says above if you have a bulk fuel tank, throw it in there and dilute it further before it goes in your machine. I have no idea how many litres of fuel your tank holds but I would not add more than 10% of the total tank capacity of your mixture at one time, then fill the tank to the neck with fuel. Even then your "fuel" is going to be 7.5% hydraulic oil, which IMO is more than plenty. It make take you a few tanks of fuel to get rid of it but doing it that way should not cause any problems. STOP adding the mix if at any time you notice a change in your engine performance, unusual noises, or excessive smoke compared to normal running.

  4. #4Garrie Denny2011-11-23 23:20

    To Steve,wild8r &Nige thaks for your input.Garrie.

  5. #5Komatsu 1502011-11-25 09:54

    I don't the know current recommendations from Cat but at one time they published a bulletin that said up to 5% straight crankcase drain oil was allowed.

  6. #6Nige2011-11-25 11:23

    That makes sense. Caterpillar Oil-renewal systems (that continuously bleed oil from the crankcase into the fuel tank) mix up to 5% of oil with the fuel in the tank.