Diesel Laptop (is the company's name).Does anyone here have experience with them? I am looking to update my diagnostic tools. We do anything from light wheel diesels to over the road trucks heavy equipment and ag. They have kits designed to work with all of these applications. But I do not know of anyone with working knowledge of them. Any input would be appreciated.
Have a look at the “diesel laptops - scam.?” Thread in the Shop Talk section.
If u think about it THIS WAY.. Service DEALERS HAVE TO PAY thousands of dollars A YEAR for their subscription to the dealer network.. each & every network.. So if they're licensed in JD, CAT, JCB, Volvo, Bosch, etc.. They have to pay each one of them thousands of dollars "A YEAR" to keep current.. & then someone comes along & says, HEY, I can sell u ALL of them for "X" amount.. There HAS TO BE a catch in there somewhere.. OLD systems or only able to READ the machine codes & not be able to go SET parameters.?? I'd be REAL leery. I know the Volvo "Vodia scan tool" was 800.00 a year subscription & that sucker would shut off.. it became a paper weight until u paid up for the year..
NOT naming names BUT.. there are some central distributers that would "rent" the Vodia scan tool for "X" amount of money & pocket it.. The network is made so u cant do anything to the machine without the tool.. so 100.00-200.00 to fix a 2000.00 billable problem in your shop, didn't sound like a bad deal.. especially to the dirtbag that was pocketing the free money..
I thought I was having deja vu... HeavyEquipmentForums
Thanks for the input. I thought this was a legitimate company with a product that I could use; But that is why we ask questions. Any ideas for diagnostic tools that will not break a small shops back? We do Pro Link in most of our over the road trucks that is getting outdated. We are currently keeping up a fleet of about 20 pieces of equipment: CAT, JD, Bobcat and Kubota.
Diesel Laptops is a legit business not the Craigslist pirated software. I have purchased the off road system and it has been beneficial to me. The software is actually called Texa. The off road is absolutely not factory level. No programming can be done. Parameters can be changed in some instances. The Jd ag coverage is really good. But Jd and cat construction not so much but can communicate with the engines. I have tricked some of jd construction engines by selecting an ag tractor with the same engine. I know some who has the truck software and likes it. Fpt coverage is good. The sales rep in my area came and did a demo before I purchased it. I recently was chasing a low rail code on a QSB 6.7. All the obvious things had already been checked to now avail. Scanning the live data with KOEO I noticed the rail pressure was reading way negative , replaced the rail sensor and problem fixed. I like finding the issue without throwing parts at it.
I'm with you on that.
Stay away from Mektool, based in China with an office somewhere in Canada. Did me for 2500 USD for a laptop that never arrived and no comeback. Never returned emails and no contact phone numbers.
The problem is that “Diesel laptops” is such a generic term it’s hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. Legitimate businesses such as “Diesel Laptops” (the company) right alongside people selling “diesel laptops” of pirated software. lots of shadiness, software theft, and outright scams going on.
I've used Texa based Diesel Laptop. No bueno. JD you can look at codes on the operator menu, same with Komatsu. Cat no luck there. But the Texa won;t communticate with certain years of volvo, hitachi or JD excavators, a lot fo trucks. And several times the wiring diagrams were wrong. Very helpful company but like it's been mentioned you gert what you pay for.
another factor is I see their CAT adapter is the older 9 pin connector. With the introduction of Tier 4 Final and preparing for (and then using) Ethernet networks CAT started using a 14 pin connector on many common machines that allows the connection of a common Ethernet cable to use (for now) in flashing and probably general communication in the future.
I'm associated with a shop that has it. They don't have the off-road package, and from the little I have used it, it seems limited on heavy trucks. It strikes me as a slightly glorified scan tool. Lots to look at, but not much to adjust. It's possible the current techs just don't know the best way to use it. I personally am sort of neutral on it. I am shopping for some diagnostic equipment for myself, and it's not on my list, based upon what I have tried to do with it and what I've been told by the shop guys.