ive been running equipment for a while and finally looking to upgrade to some new equipment I know with this setup there isn't much in the form of smaller equipment that I cant legally haul im looking at some mini hoes like the e85 or 308e2 is anybody running a similar setup pulling either of these pieces ive done a great job avoiding the headaches of the dot and id like to continue doing so I guess what im getting at is without getting into a trailer behind a dump truck or a lowboy how big can I go with an excavator
No specific experience, but it really comes down to hard numbers. The DOT won't care what your buddy hauls with his truck. GVWR of your tow vehicle, and the GVWR of the trailer. We know the GVWR of your trailer is 25,900. Subtract the weight of the trailer itself, and you end up with the weight you can legally haul on it(don't forget to make sure tires are rated for at least the trailer GVWR). How are you towing - goose neck or bumper? I assume goose neck. Not sure of your specific model, but it looks like 24,800 is your limit on F450/F550. So, you can't use the full capacity of your trailer. Those excavators check in at around 19k. So, your trailer can't weigh more than 5,800. So, that covers you as far as the trailer goes, but then you need to account for the tow vehicle. Page 5 https://www.fordf150.net/specs/05sd_specs.pdf Now, this is where I get fuzzy, but the DOT would look at your door sticker for the actual number. But according to that same page, the GCWR is a max of 33,000lbs, provided you have the right axle ratio and tow package. That means to me that as long as your truck weighs less than 8,200 lbs, you can haul the trailer 24,800 maximum. Anything over 8,200 lbs vehicle weight, and then you must reduce the trailer weight, so as to not exceed combined 33k. Clear as mud? So, what are your weights - Truck and trailer? And truck GVWR, GCWR?
The DOT will add the GVWR of your truck and trailer to determine your potential gross weight. That’s all they care about. They don’t care what Ford says it can haul. Anything over 26,001 gross you’ll need a CDL. Per your original question I’d say haul whatever you want. The machines you’re looking at should be fine on there. Just be prepared to get pulled over. It’s a matter of when not if. In my experience what you’re saving by avoiding them will not cover what it’ll cost when they catch you the first time. Get your DOT numbers and the proper insurance. Should you be unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident you’ll lose your ***. States have become wise to all the duallys and goosenecks. They pick on them more here than big trucks. It’s all about $$$ for them. Not trying to come across like a d**k. I’ve just seen how this goes from about every angle there is. There are tons of threads about this same subject.....
its a gooseneck gvwr on the truck is 14000 gvwr on trailer is 25900 bringing the combo to 39900 less the empty weight of the combined unit of 20580 leaves me an available at 19320lbs its tagged at 44000 im running fuel stickers dot numbers and everything else in its wake. by avoiding the dot I just mean im trying to be legal and do everything properly the first time that way when I do get to look at the flashing blue lights I leave without tickets we run a fleet of dumptrucks so to add the pickup to the irp account was easy and I do and have held a class a cdl for years semis are easy dump trucks are easy but in a pickup truck im in somewhat of an unchartered territory for me at least so im just looking for anybody with a similar setup that may have spent time with the diesel bear either roadside or at the chicken coup the trailer is heavy I do so much with it operate moving equipment and sometimes as a tow truck I had to throw a monster winch on it there is literally nothing I cant/wont do as long as I can keep it legal
Gotcha. That’s a horse of a different breed then. As long as you can scale it per bridge formula and per your calcs I think you’ll be fine. Make sure the safety chains are there, breakaway is there and works, tires meet the capacity of the axles etc. reflective tape and all the other jazz they like to catch pickups and goosenecks without. It’s really no different than a big truck it’s just that they’re so used to nailing them for little things they smell blood in the water! Haha.
the bridge formula for my stuff shows 80000 but we both know I cant do 40 tons on a pickup its a pretty long rig so does that mean I go back to the gcwr?
Axle ratings and GCWR yes. I don’t know that I’ve seen any DOT around there throw scales down on a dually and GN because they generally find enough stuff without going into so much work.
I run a pretty tight ship as far as keeping all those little nuances up not to say im perfect because no one is but I don't miss much its easy when you own it and drive everything at least once a month... everything rolls 4-6 days a week but im in everything at least once a month just to verify its safe and legal
f450 with twin 12k lbs axle trailer...that is a kx080 kubota with steel tracks...weighs in at 22400 lbs...with proper placement i am legal with 900 lbs left ....so it is close but good to go.
Gcwr on my f450 is 40400 lbs with the 4.30 and 6.7 stroker...i go through scales almost everyday...scale is just a few miles from my home.....keep brakes and lights good....chain properly and no problems from them....they check brakes and lights quite regular....chaining down the machine with atleast 3 chains....plus a chain across bucket even if it attached to machine.
2 guys here got nailed for no annual inspection on there 450s another got hit for lack of fire extinguisher 3 years ago a guy got hit for no safety triangles A few months back another guy was loading his cat 420 up he was parked on a slight slope and the r was ar axle of the pickup got to light while the backhoe was coming up the ramps it rolled 40 feet and jack knifed into a street light he got a ticket for failure to control vehicle There's a lot of guys here doing 450/550 and gosenecks it works on flat ground well enough to get by but they get hassled a lot cause most can get an overweight ticket almost all the time if they carry extra buckets or an attachment. Most guys get tickets for things because they are trying to get by thinking they are not a full size truck
Loading issues bring up a good point. Wheel chocks are important. Don’t want a runaway and don’t need to foul up Park!
Yeah no triangles,no fire ext, and no safety sticker will get you a charge no matter what class commercial truck you drive. Wheel chocks are part of our safety program with any truck without air brakes...i own trucks right upto tandem/tridem ...they all have their place....a f450 is awesome truck that tows all the small equipment just fine....stay legal and all is good....break the rules on any class truck and you get what you deserve.