Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Diesel oil for older engines

Welder Dave ยท 2019-04-16 00:19

Probably been asked a zillion times but what's a good 15W-40 oil to use in older engines up to 1994. I need to change oil in my 65 Perkins, 86 Cat and 94 Kubota. Rotella T triple protection seems to be everywhere. Best price is $63 for 18.9L at Walmart. Chevron Delo 400 SDE is on sale for $70 for 18.9L. I've read some people don't like the Rotella T and the Delo is better but I've also read the opposite. Mobil Delvac 1300 is another one I might be able to find locally or would the Walmart Supertech oil be worth considering?

Replies8
  1. #1John C.2019-04-16 10:41

    I got to the point where I go by price and the SAE and API specs on the cans. Unless you buy some cheap no name brand, it's all more than adequate when changed per machine manufacturer's specs.

  2. #2TomA2019-04-16 10:45

    I think the Supertech. Is the most appropriate for older engines.

  3. #356wrench2019-04-16 11:06

    I've had no problems with rotella so far. its readily available and they still make monograde for older equipment the last time I checked although the monograde may not be in stock and would have to be ordered

  4. #4Welder Dave2019-04-17 00:00

    I use 15W-40. The engines are older, about 4000hrs. on the Perkins and Kubota and 1500 on the rebuilt Cat. Still want them to last so want a decent oil.

  5. #5funwithfuel2019-04-17 07:06

    Believe it or not. Walmart's supertech line has been reviewed many times . Often times the results leave the competition wanting. I am always surprised when I read that cuz I have used either delo or rotella my whole life in everything even my mowers. I know supertech is rebranded stuff of unknown origin, but it's good stuff. On paper.

  6. #6bigrus2019-04-18 18:45

    We tend to go for a 20W50 in "older" generation diesel engines

  7. #7Bumpsteer2019-04-18 21:30

    I've been running Rotella 15-40 in my 9n & 850 Fords for 25+ years now..... Ed

  8. #8petepilot2019-04-18 21:58

    rotella t in everything around here .including the pass.vehicles