I am interested in the perusing this option a little. I have a couple requests for quote out, but was wondering if anyone had direct experience with getting existing tires filled with foam. Tire size is 31-15.50x15. Useage is just occasional farm use on a compact loader. Ideal for me would just be a kit I can do myself. Location is southern Ohio.
Most of the foam tire fillers won't fill a used tire with foam, liability issue. Just wait till the tires is worn out, then fill the new ones... Also, there are several grades of foam (soft vs hard). On a SL, i'd choose a medium to soft, to keep the ride smoother...
Darn, don't like hearing that. I can't wear mine out, without air. Heck, they will dry rot before I wear them out, I suppose. My problem is the beads of these tires are pretty chunked up. I have a near impossible time getting the beads to seal. I have been through hell with these damn things. I am now tired of it. No pun intended. And yes, i have tried tubes already, and they have let me down too. That's a whole other story I don't care about the liability. I just want to find a supplier that will sell the stuff.
I had my MF1540 tires foam filled. They were filled with brine when I bought it. After maybe four or five years of use (personal), I could see rust leaking from the valve. Asked the dealer if he could foam fill them - he did, but through a sub as he doesn’t have the ability to do it himself. Cost was about $2,000. This is in central NY
Have a few foamed tires. Actually wearing the foam on a pair. The tires wore "OFF" But as long as it turns, it runs. Have a new set on stand-by when the end finally comes. Remember ...Changing them out means buying new wheels. Make sure the wheels you foam are in good shape. Busted centers is double expense. Can't move the foamed tire to a new wheel. The foam sticks to the steel wheel. Easier to just buy new tires and wheels.
Had a 644 JD loader with foam fill, when the tires wore out I cut the center of the tread all the way around with a chainsaw and water (nylon cord not steel radials). Then ran the machine around until the foam chunks fell out. It had the drop center rims and they were perfectly clean when the foam came out. A full set of air inflated radials and it was back in business. The bad thing was that I had to add extra counterweights afterwards because the foam was so heavy.
Found a fairly local place that does the foam filling. Going to check on Monday. Thanks for the information fellas.
You may want to get a back support belt because they ride like a rock
I see there are different densities - I suppose I would go for the softest. Even so, I do have a suspension seat.
I foam filled a spare tire for my Gradall 534C forklift a couple of months ago. It was $400 to foam fill it with medium hard gel and I think I wasted my money. The used tire is already showing signs of sidewall failure. Time will tell.
I think foam is advantageous if you're working in demolition or somewhere were punctures and flats are common. It would be better to get new tires and have the tire shop mount them. Using enough of the right tire lube is paramount. Beads get chewed up by not using the right tire tools and techniques for mounting them. I think you said you made up your own wheels. Are the wheels the right design for the tires? A tire expert would know. I don't know if the bead seat is different for off road wheels. A suspension seat won't help much if you're bouncing like a pogo stick.
Good points. I only consider foam filling for convenience of my ownership. Not due to the conditions I operate the loader in. You are correct, but I only put new centers in my wheels - I bought the set used and already mounted. Most of the damage and condition of the beads was pre-existing to my ownership. One or two already had tubes in them. And the wheels do fit the tires. My thoughts are that if I can foam fill an existing tire for about the cost of a new tire, I might prefer that. From the looks of it, the foam will be a little more than a new tire, so it is not a straight forward decision. My thoughts come from a high level of frustration I have experienced with these tires. I initially thought that installing tubes in them would eliminate many frustrations with maintaining good rim/bead seal - due to the previous bead damage. Well, the tubes where an expensive, time consuming mistake. I think I ended up buying a total of 8 or 10 tubes. Perhaps I did not choose the correct style tube, but at this point, I am done with them. Only one of the 3 tires still has a tube in it right now. I posted this thread just after failing to get one of the tires to seat the beads and take air. I had tire mounting compound all over the place, tire sealer blowing out making a mess, and 3 different chain falls and come alongs around it squeezing the crap out of the damn thing. Plus, beating the ship out of it with a sledge, just trying to get the beads to seal - and failing. ANYTHING was better than that. Good news is that after setting the tire outside in the sun all day Monday, I tried one more time to get it to take air and got it done with a new tire chuck and just one of the come alongs.
Hopefully you removed the tires before welding the centers in. Murphy's tire soap fills gaps when setting beads.