I work on a lot of agriculture equipment and I notice A lot of farmers have water separators coming off their main fuel tanks at shop. I always had the regular filter on my pump but I got To thinking It shouldn’t hurt anything ( hell tbh It be extra filtration) to add a water separator after my filter. So has anyone else done this? Or am I just pissing up wind ? Cause to be honest I’ve never seen somone else do this around where I’m from.
You can purchase spin on dispenser filters that serve both purposes. Instead of hanging a fragile glass or polycarbonate bowl off the side of your pump. Such as the Sim-Tek 70010. Which is a 10 micron cellulose element. It has the added benefit of swelling up when excess water is absorbed and giving you indication of water. Prevents you from pumping water, to a certain point.
Csad3069, Welcome to the HEF. I’m big into agriculture, too. I run a huge rabbit operation. Would you call it a farm or a ranch? Not sure. Maybe a rabbitry. I supply all of southcentral Alaska with organically grown meat rabbits. The best rabbits North of the 51. This is Mr. Groot. He’s the head buck of the outfit. The ladies love him. Flemish Giant, he is.
I run the big Cimtech hydrosorb #70063 filter. It's a big filter and housing. Don't let that throw you, just buy bushings to the size you need.
Csad3069. If you decide to go with the water separator I would put it before the regular filter to protect the media.
In that pic having two filters like that is really funny and pointless. Either run the clear one where you will hardly ever see water but it will leak diesel or just a regular filter. Better yet use a aluminum tank so the filter will rust out first
I run a Cimtek hydrosorb filter on my tank. I’ve always been curious, do the water separator bowl style filter housings actually work with the volume of fuel being pushed through by a transfer pump? My pump is a 15gpm (I think) and it seems like that flow rate would cause enough turbidity to stir up any water settling to the bottom of the bowl. So, do they work in a transfer tank setup?
Goldenrod water block does that too. I kinda like the see through setup so have an idea if the tank has junk in it.
I run dual filters and tilt the 500 gallon tank back where there is a bottom drain. I am in the process of setting-up two new 500 gallon tanks on skids and considering a desiccant vent as we have very high humidity here. I have had issues with bacteria several times.
I've ran those clear ones a lot and I can't really remember , I do really not bring able to see them because the diesel leaks at the seal, covers the plastic bowl and dust covers that so you can't see through them. You also can really drain them as it just makes a mess because it's always low to where you install them and it runs all over.
Can't remember ever having one leak like that. Have had them on probably 7 or 8 tanks over the years. One on my main tank was easily 40 years old. I did replace it as it cracked when changing the filter.
Must have been older models. We had 3 or 4 none of them lasted and all of them leaked just a bit.