I have a somewhat common problem that has come to a head. Some of the engines I work on are basically converted diesels with spark plugs. The spark plug will often be down in a hole so deep that not even the terminal stands proud of the top head surface. And just big enough for a socket. The one today rats had done their business in this well so bad I could not get the socket onto the flats. I tried digging with a pick tool but never could get enough. I think I need something of an air blaster that is about the size of the straw on a brake cleaner can. So it can get way down in small crevices and lift the dirt out. I imagine something like 1/16 steel tube attached, that could be bent and shoved in, and thrown away and replaced. For tight spaces. Also something like the dentist uses to blast air and water could be helpful, but if not bendy might not be as good.
1/16” DOT air brake thermoplastic hose might be the ticket. Affectionately called spaghetti tube. Plus, the fittings are easily adapted to your air nozzle. Idk? Maybe?
Not very conventional but go to a medical supply and buy a catheter. Cut the end off so it blows straight out the end. There's a plastic kind of funnel on the other end that a rubber tipped air gun would fit. It might cost $1.50.
Tape and a straw You can buy canned air, but even better you can charge up an empty can with a air blaster and then put a straw on it.
I made one when I was digging out broken taps. We had a tap burner, but could not get large parts to it. It had steel hollow electrodes, and the smallest one was IIRC 1/16" o.d. I stuck it into a standard blow gun, with some epoxy. I could stuff it down the flutes to get the chips to come up, many times I could get the broken tap free this way. look here: McMaster-Carr McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day. www.mcmaster.com Be very carefull with this blow gun, you can accidently stab yourself when the air in on.
Would something like this work? EXELAIR® Blow Gun and Air Accessory Kit - Safey Adapter, Nozzle Tips, Inflator Needles, and 5" Extension - 150 Max PSI (7-Piece) EXELAIR by Milton EX0307BKIT - Blow Gun and Air Accessory Kit - Safey Adapter, Nozzle Tips, Inflator Needles, and 5" Extension - 150 Max PSI, (7-Piece) by Milton Industries. Top Quality pneumatics for automotive & professional use. Shop online now. miltonindustries.com Or this one: 600 Series Blow Gun. 12" Safety Extension | 600 Series Blow Gun. 12" Safety Extension | Coilhose Pneumatics coilhose.com
Now I see the standard blow guns have limited pressure outlet to comply with safety standards, what a joke. I need all the pressure I can get. I'm thinking I need something like a normal blow nozzle with a NPT outlet and adapt that to some very small steel tube that I can bend into place. But now I have to find one that is not neutered.
Tiny copper tubing soldered to an adapter on a blow nozzle. If the tubing is too big, carefully squash it oval until it will fit down beside the plug. Most of my blow guns have removable threaded tips and 1/8”npt can be used
I have a 1/4" NPT ball valve fitted with a quick connect and a flare fitting for 3/16" copper tube. As 56wrench said above you can flatten and bend it. Im not sure of the smallest soft copper tube you buy . I made it up to help remove the rust jacking in my old Kenworth frame ,worked excellent. Im trying to save stripping the back end of the truck.
Good idea, will try the same as the double frame on our dump truck is showing rust jacking…hoping to keep it eligible for cvi.
Make it from hard or stainless tubing so it can withstand abuse of jamming it thru the crud. You could as posted above, solder it to a 1/4" npt fitting, and then you could attach a small hose, with a simple ball valve and milton QC or whatever style you use.
Just be sure to wear eye protection if doing this as the crap will come out fast!
I'd just wave my 1/4" tubing blow pipe over it. The junk will come out. Regular old 1/4" brake tubing with adapter screws directly on quick connect male plug. No valve, just direct air.
A small steel brake line 18" or so works well for me.
I also use a rivet gun with a square end on it to rattle the frame wjth the blow gun stuck in there,so far so good.We dont use the truck much,the inspectors coments are like wow you guys have been busy 1500 K this time.
If/when u use these ideas, please post a picture of the finished project..& let us know how it worked..
This outfit makes small tubing and other shapes of various metals: https://ksmetals.com/ . They have stuff the size of aerosol can straws and you can buy it in 6 foot lengths if you want. You can find it at some hardware stores and hobby shops if you don't want to order it online. Edit, just looked at digger Doug's McM-C link. Looks like a better option.
I ordered some parts from McMaster to start. 3/16 was the smallest tube I could find that I could get all the fittings and be affordable. I will try it on the rat house job first and see how I like it. Parts supposed to be here Monday, job is on Wednesday.
Very KOOL.. looking forward to seeing it.. I hope it works for you.
Silly expensive but Swagelok makes really small SS tubing and all the adapters you could ever need. Pretty sure sure you can get 1/16” possibly even 1/32” I can’t remember for sure
Or….https://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/albion-alloys-mat04-0-4x0-2mm-inside-diameter-aluminium-micro-tube-pack-of-3/?absrc=Google&abid=685060755532&abcampid=20878593100&gclid=CjwKCAjwyJqzBhBaEiwAWDRJVAaVcEpWYdx_wUv9qmUjTXo5dGsOqYC9oeT8Cb12Oq39o8vR_jAVuhoCRcQQAvD_BwE&gad_source=1
https://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/albio...8Cb12Oq39o8vR_jAVuhoCRcQQAvD_BwE&gad_source=1
Trying to figure out how to post a link….. hopefully that worked?
Yeah looks like it. The link in post #22 has some very small tube
Hi BV, how about a grease gun needle nozzle?
Not sure if it's long enough but a needle for filling footballs and soccer balls could probably be adapted. They are very small and usually threaded on the big end.
Sorry, I got busy and forgot this thread. I ended up discovering as some pointed out, the outlet of the nozzle is 1/8" pipe taper. I got a flare fitting from McMaster and a 1' stick of 3/16 copper. It said soft in one place but I did not look good enough, it was actually quite hard. Also the 3/16 is quite a bit larger than what I had in mind. However I bent it into a 90 and it worked adequately. I had to use a little pick on the gunk before blowing into the dead end holes. If I have to improve it, I think what I will do is buy some smaller steel tube and solder it into the copper. Since 3/16 is as small as I can flare. But it got the job done for now.