Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

diff on 872gp

Blade123 ยท 2017-01-24 22:46

Thought I would see what people thought of this situation and ask some questions. Story. I owner/operate a 872gp. The diff locks stopped working, brought it into dealer. They rebuilt the diff, did new breaks,seals and any parts that needed to be changed, no sense being cheap when your in there. About 10 hrs or so after getting it back the breaks started to make a slight sound. Didn't think so much of it. Wasn't horrible. Now about 200 hrs and two months later, the diff locks fails again. I bring it back into the dealer. They tare the diff apart again, and say the stub shaft had broke, due to load shock. And the reason the breaks made noise is that metal from the stub shaft had gotten into the breaks. I have a strange feeling no one wants to warrenty that. I've been owner operater for 10 years, never have done damage to my diff before in my last 3 graders. All deere. My questions. Can the stub shaft not be installed properly? On the first go around. Ie, mesh of the spines. What kind of force would it take to break the stub shaft? I've never had one break before, and definitey would remember breaking it, that's if it takes a great force to break it. Not just normal blading. Thanks for the help. I must say I love my deere graders, just this diff is confusing me.

Replies3
  1. #1ovrszd2017-01-25 13:44

    Bummer. I sure can't help you with your technical questions. I'm curious to hear the outcome though. Sorry for your bad luck. Welcome to HEF.

  2. #2Fatgraderman2017-01-27 14:08

    10 hours of service out of a repair? There has to be more to this. I only transitioned from Volvo (mostly Champion actually) to Deere in the last year and don't really have any experience with a failure like yours. When they say stub shaft, are they referring to the shaft coming out of the differential with the sprocket that drives the chains? Same failure twice? I wonder what there is for bearing or bushing between the tandem and axle on these things? It's a couple big bushings on the 140's. Just wondering if something worn out there could cause a bind?

  3. #3Mark2502017-01-27 16:00

    Hi could you post some photos of the failure area. shock load failures (happen quickly ) and fatigue failures (happen slowly over time) are different in the way they present themselves and may give a clue to what happened Mark