I have an old Galion T-500 motor grader and hydraulic fluid runs out of the top of one of my mole board lift cylinders. As near as I can figure out there is just packing in there and not an actual seal. Any help on what I need to do to stop this leak would be greatly appreciated.
I think we are gonna need more information? Is the cylinder leaking where the ram goes into the barrel? What's the age of this machine?? When starting a thread try to create a thread title that best describes the issue. Just using your forum name might cause the person with the correct answers to just skip on by. Welcome to HEF!!!!
Galion T-500 motorgrader Yes it is leaking around the ram. I have a Parts manual that says that here is just packing and not an actual seal. Not sure if the packing needs replaced or if there is a way to just tighten something to stop the leak. Not sure of the vintage of the grader but it is an older one. Thanks for ur help and advice. Jeff
9 times out of ten its time to replace the seals and packing. Most of the time you can leave the barrel on the machine, disconnect the eye of the cylinder, and disassemble and replace the misc. components. (I haven't found many cylinder caps that won't open up with a really big pipe wrench, I've seen large "chain wrenches" used also) You can order the parts through komatsu, or if you have a good parts store (Getting harder and harder to find) or hydraulic shop, you can bring the ram and misc, components in and have them measured and get them ordered that way. Order 2 sets, because when your done you might have screwed up a seal, or shortly after your done the other cylinder will start to do the same thing. One other note, you may be able to do some googling and find your cylinder rebuild kits online, I've had luck with my Champions, but I haven't found much for my Galions and Dressers short of going to Komatsu or a Napa that has a good Hydraulics guy.
Unless your talking about some kind of relief valve valve built into the system on the top of the cylinder. I had an o-ring go on one of my Champions this summer. Take a pic of the trouble area if you get a chance and post it.
Ok I will take a pic what I get a chance. Maybe later today. Thanks
A picture of the relevant page of the parts manual will go a long way to help too. There's only a few basic styles of cylinder glands, so somebody will know what to do from a couple pictures.
Silveroddo Well I took a couple pics of the cylinder, but can't figure out how to attach them to my post. Any help on that matter would be greatly appreciated!! I think the cylinder is only leaking externally, so I am wondering if I could just remove the end cap (which I have taken loose the 2 bolts that hold it) and replace the seals inside it. If I do have to remove the complete ram and plunger from the cylinder tube, any suggestions on how to get the big end cap unscrewed from the tube? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks Jeff
The first one is of the top of the cylinder with just the 2 bolts removed and the second one is with the small end cap slid up the ram. I was thinking maybe that small end cap had a seal inside it. Since I believe my leak is external only I was thinking maybe I could disconnect the eye of the cylinder and slide this small end cap off to replace a seal in there, if in fact there even is one. And now I see on your post Silveroddo, about the large pipe wrench or chain wrench to remove the large end cap. Please bear with me people, I'm new to this. But I do appreciate every ones help and advice!!! Thank you, Jeff PS The serial # of my machine is T500A-IC-03357 if that helps any. As of yet I have not been able to figure out the year of the machine from that serial #.
That's a little different style than I've dealt with, but the concept should be the same. I'm thinking you will have to remove the big cap and pull out the rod and plunger ( no idea what the correct terminology is) It will be very beneficial to have a good 3/4" impact and selection of sockets to remove the nut from the end of the rod after its removed as the seals your dealing with will have to be installed from the other end. I have a bench with a vice at one end, I stick the eye in the vice and use a few wood blocks to level out the rod, once its stable rattle off the nut, remove the plunger, clean it up, start reinstalling seals and packings put the plunger back on, rattle the nut and stick it back in the barrel. Sounds real easy on paper, and its not rocket science, you just have to do it a few times to get the right set of tools and the process down. and as I said before, Get 2 sets because nothing sucks worse than having it almost back together, screwing up a $15 seal and having to run to town and blow an hour or 2 (Or a few days if they have to order it in again)
Ok thanks for the info. Yea I have put many cylinder seal kits in over the years, just never saw a cylinder that looked quite like this one. But I suppose like I say, they are all the same concept. Was hoping maybe I could get lucky and not have to take the big end cap and the whole plunger out.
According to my book-1969- 03294 -03701
I'd guess that's vee packing that can be tightened and maybe replaced without pulling the gland and rod off. Does that bronze part have clearance to compress down anymore on some rubber parts under it still stuck in the gland?
That is a v packing gland. You can just tighten the 2 bolts to stop the leak, providing the packing seals are still in good condition. If the v packing needs replaced, I've always used a "corkscrew" tool to pull the packing out of the head. You can cut the new packing at a 45 degree angle and place each piece in the head, staggering each piece 180 degrees. It's always worked well for me. Do not over tighten the gland bolts. They only get about a 35 ft lbs torque and most I've seen are wire tied.
Thank you all for your posts. They have all been very helpful. It's good to know what year of a machine I'm dealing with. Heck it's only 48 years old, I was guessing it to be closer to 60. Good to know I'm dealing with a much newer grader than I originally thought. Haha. I did in fact get the cylinder apart today. All of your info and advice makes a lot more sense now that I can actually see it all. I do believe the v-packing seals need replaced because the brass piece that the 2 bolts draw down was tight against the end cap-would not draw down anymore. Now if I can locate the seals on the plunger and the new v-packing seals I will be In good shape.
If you can't find the v packing you can try rope packing .The seal in the small piece is a wiper seal to keep dirt and debris out of packing .Could be oil seal put in backward,double faced seal or could have two seals in it .Be careful taking out so you can match up.
Thanks all for your help with this problem. I have started a new thread titled "Galion T500-A Motor Grader". I hope this title is better to get everyones attention. Thanks and hope to hear from some of you on my new thread.