Boss just bought me a slightly used d6n, used to 750j hydrostat machines. Guess I am asking for does and don'ts with the diff steering. We do have a 8r, I don't have a ton of seat time in it, but always make sure engine is deceled and dozer stopped before changing directions and such. Not going to lie sometimes full throttle the 750 in direction change and such, I try not to but I know it won't kill that machine. I just don't want to anything to cause harm, because I really like this 6. Can I upshift this under throttle? Just wondering the best operating techniques.
Different set up as far as trans,as i'm sure you know.Powershift with convertor compared all hydosta.As far as the diff steer,it will let you counter rotate in netural,which is hard on tracks and normally not needed unless in real tight spots.Coming from Deere where you could counter rotate easily in gear you will miss that! Diff will have power to both tracks in turns,with some slippage in muddy conditions.One track just slows and the other speeds up. As far as decel you don't have to come to a complete stop when you shift,at full throttle it will jerk you around.Which i don't do.Just decel part way then shift,this forward and backwards.Going to first to second you can shift at full throttle if you want on do a slight decel.You choice either way. Pic of my D6N which has a semi blade compared to probaly yours having a 6-way blade.Good luck
Thanks Construct'O Yeah they are very compareable machines but this 6 really out pushes the 750 we all feel at work. Yes, it does have a 6 way, enclosed cab all the goodies and most importantly, at least for my owner, Cat is getting him a chrome stack. Its pre-wired for GPS and think he ordered all the stuff for it this week. We have it on all our dozers but one. Been a good week at work, got a raise, little promotion and now a new dozer.
I really like those 6n's. I've been trying to talk dad into either a 6n or a 6m. I decel just like ConstructO said. The machine will tell you if your doing it right. You shouldn't hear any banging or have any hard direction changes. Where you working Eric?
Construct'O I thought one of my customers had the only semi-u 6N in existance! Lol, I'd never seen one until about 2 months ago, then you post a pic of yours. And they're not too far apart distance wise.
I don't know how many Cat have built ,but my gess would be a couple hundred with the semi blade.Where are you located? I'm north of Maryville,just across the line.Close enough i work some in Mo. Farmwork. Richie sales at Odessia had one a couple years ago that i tried to buy,the buyer was to South Africa.
so an N is a direct replacement for the D? hp and weight are about the same. I guess the final drive r&r would be easier for sure on the N. My blade doesn't look as large as the N you have, Denny.
Just east of Savannah MO, or northeast of St. Joseph.
The D6N weighs more then the D6D.The D will be between 21 or 23K where the N is between 35 and 36K pounds.D 140HP to N 145HP.Repairs on finals would be lots less time.Just break the tracks,pull the axle,take out bolts and it's off. No A frame removeral and sprocket press,all the other stuff.Plus have too have the D blocked up. The blade on my N is semi u 5.4 cubic yards,taller then the D,s blade.The push arms are configured like the D6H+R.Same width as the D straight blade and D blade is not as tall as N semi blade.The blade on the N is quite a bit heavier built then the D.
We aren't very far apart are we.Thanks
Hey Buckfever I am working just off the Southpointe exit of 79 in Washington County. We have a lot of work lined up, was working in the shop this past Saturday with the owner and he said we are lined up with work till 2015 for right now. Talking 6 12s all summer. we have hired 6 or 7 guys in about a month. He bought that 6n, put gps on our 8r, bought 2 350 kobelco hoes, 2 hyundai 740-9 wheel loaders, another 815f, and a 740 artic cat dump and is looking for another one, all that since about October. It is really starting to take off around here again, plus most of our competitors jumped on the Marcellus shale band wagon, so they are turning down a lot of the site work, so we are just picking up the slack.
my D6D (4x9152) weighs 36000. nobody would argue how much easier the newer finals are to r&r.
Thats funny. Our shop is right off the southpoint exit. Glad to hear you guys are doing well. We have been pretty busy our selves and if this keeps up we are going to have to buy a few more pieces and hire a couple of guys.
Anyone ever played with the computer on a 750J? You can set it up so that the decel controls travel speed only, and the throttle stays at the manual setting regardless of decel position... I found it to be very strange and promptly changed it back, but the amount of options you can adjust in those computers is amazing.
Glad to hear you guys are busy too Buckfever. You will probably see where we are working soon. The trees were just cleared and all e&s is done, so dirt is going to be flying as soon as we get some weather to do it. Acivil, yes its amazing what can be controlled in the 750j's, can really fine tune that machine.
OK eric I think I know where your at. My dad can see you guys from his house. You have a 750or 850 with GPS running on that job? Dad can fell the vibrations in his house when it's tracking back and forth.
Yep its a 750, must be real close by, guess ill have someone on here critquing my work, ha ha. That could be the 8r too its there also for a few more days.
If you stand on the top of the hill and look over Rt. 980 my dads house is on the far side of that red barn. I would not want to be the guy that has to spread that topsoil Be like spreading cake iceing.
Ha ha thats been me so far, supposed to be the finish grade dozer man on this job. The topsoil is killing us on this job so far, we had to do a 6' fill for where topsoil pile is supposed to go, its too narrower of an area have a quarter of the job stripped and out of room. The trucks can't back up the pile, have to push every load up the pile and the 8 just sinks. Not too mention those two high pressure gas lines that go from houston to jersey or something that run right down the middle of the site. What road is 980? not too sure of the area down there. Is there a Lama in a pen by it or some kind of animal?
Is this Applehill? Rt980 whould be the road you turn off of into the plan.
Ha ha no, but thats one of our jobs. Makes sense now that you say the dozer vibrates your dads house, that operator is not the smoothest, to be kind. My job is right off the southpointe exit, right off the exit first right then quick right. And there are a couple red barns I can see from my hill so i was confused.
OK I think I know where your at. A buddy of ours moved the dirt and put in some pipe for some soccer fields in that area.
Yes we are right next to that. Actually they ran out of dirt, so they are getting our extra to finish it up.
Now that I know where your at let me know if you need any help finding anything in this area let me know.