I'm purchasing a 1984 John deere 455D tomorrow. Runs great as is but I know it will need a few repairs in the very near future. As I check around for various parts, I find that in the year, as mine, John Deere made the 455 with different letters after the 455. Such as mine with the 455D. I've seen 455G, 455E, etc. etc. My 455D is a crawler loader with a 4 in 1 bucket. It also had a backhoe on it which I don't get with the machine. But the mounting bracket stays with the machine. I ask the difference between the machines so as to hope the parts are interchangeable. I don't need or want the backhoe. Thanks, Frank
I know the G models started in 1988-89 and continued till i believe 1998. I'm not positive but I thought a 1984 model would be a B model loader.
The 455-455D's were built between 1982-1985.E's were 85-88, then the G's were 87 to 95 and yes there was some overlap.Parts interchangeability is limited so be more specific and we can help you.
now when did the B models show up? I know it was in the early 80's. That was one of the first machines we owned. Three speed forward and revese with a torquecoverter and a screaming motor that ate 40 gallons of fuel a day.
No--your memory I think is playing tricks on you and/or you're smoking some bad ****.(kidding)The B came out in 1970 and lasted unti 1976. They all had 4 speeds with a reverser--Deere didn't use TC's until much later. I've had B's, C's and my present D and I have never used more than 15 gallons on a long 10 hr.+ day.
That should read 450-455D's.
I should have said it was a 555B. I could of swore it was in the early 80's like the B model dozers. And this machine was a pig, I remember for sure it had a 3 speed in a sideways U. You pushed the lever to the left to upshift. Thinking back you might be right that machine may have been for the 70's.
The 550-555 did'nt follow the letter designations like it's smaller brothers- the 350/450's.Yes, the 550-555B was built from 85-87 and they did have a PS tranny with a TC as an option.
OK glad we got that straited out.