Hi, I am looking at purchasing a wheeled backhoe and this seems like a good spot to get information. A recent local add on Kijiji lists a 2003 Cat 420it with 4600 hours. What I can't seem to figure out is what exactly does the 'it' on the end give you over a plain 420. The one listed has extend a hoe and quickcoupler forks if that helps. I owned an older Deere (310) years back and am looking for something again mostly for personal use. Thanks and great site. Brian
The it stands for integrated toolcarrier. It means the loader frame is a tool carrier frame rather than a normal dig frame.
in midwest english that means the frount loader assembly is different and allows you to quick change frount buckets and implements on the loader on my 416c ....the standard frount loader has a single cylinder and no quick change......the IT version has dual cylinders and quick change ......usually they have a slightly different paint job also http://www.empireag.com/uploadedFiles/AG/Product_Lines/Material_Handling/Backhoe- 420E.pdf
OK, thanks. So there is normally no other difference to the hoe/running gear. I am guessing the 420it is preferred model for contractors that want to use different attachments like forks, snow plows etc. Can anyone tell me what the difference in cost was for this option when new? Thanks again, Brian
The cost difference between the ST (standard) and the IT was about $3300 US. The rear end of the machine is identical. As stated above the front end has a hydraulic coupler that is interchangeable with most CAT IT tools - buckets, forks, broom, grapples, etc., and hydraulic lines for tools. The IT also has a pilot control loader joystick, whereas the ST has a mechanical loader lever. The twin cylinders on the loader also provide parallel lifting/lowering when using forks, as well as a bit more breakout. The loader arms and tools are painted black as suggested above. Since the IT is the upscale model, many more were equipped with the AutoShift transmission as well. (another $3k option). A much nicer machine loader if you have need for the capabilities.
I have a 420DIT and it's a good backhoe. Like has been said, the rear end is the same but the front end is the difference. I only have a regular bucket and forks for my machine. We use the forks to unload and stage storm pipe and structures and more often than not move things around onsite for the GC which gains some brownie points. It really depends on what you want to do with the machine. It's very handy and productive to be able to switch between forks and a bucket from the cab. Hit the rocker switch, drop the bucket and pick up the forks. The IT machines have a lot more capability than that but that's what I use my machine for.
Can you explain more? Is the joystick electric (as in it controls solenoids)? Sorry to be asking so much but these things have come a long way since my last machine. And you guys are great for taking the trouble to reply, I really appreciate it. Brian
No - not electric, it's a pilot control valve (hydraulic). It's a very reliable and much more comfortable control to operate than a mechanical lever. There is a electronic control lever or wheel for the front aux hydraulics incorporated into it ( depending on the year of build - the earlier ones have a joystick from one of the dozers where the thumb slides left and right, the later ones have a skidsteer type joystick that has a roller going front to rear. ) I've had a 420D IT for about 10 yrs now, using a GP, MP, and Grapple buckets, as well as forks. Real good machine. Only deficiency has been the air conditioner, which is marginal. You might not have that problem up there. Ask whatever you want - someone will reply with help or opinions.
We have a 1999 machine with 51xx hrs on it in a municipal setting. We are a water district so it works hard in the winter doing mater main breaks and then we do our own road restoration. It's an IT machine with forks 4-1 front bucket and a hydro broom. The rear is E-Stick with a Wain-Roy clamshell bucket. We also run an NPK pavement breaker on it. Solid machine, it's park inside all year and the battery box is rusting. The seat still handles my 300lbs rump only downfall is the ordered it with Ford backhoe controls. I know right?!? I've worked ther for 3-1/2 yrs and it hasn't had any real down time other then the thermostat blew apart and it needed to be totally taken aprt. My local cat dealer did the 5k hr service along with rebuilt the rear bucket and. Changed the cutting edges up,front and new tires also around. Then he found the turbo had too much end play. And they causes a coolant leak hahah. More dealer issue then the machine.
That would be my gripe too. Where they mounted the cab air intake just sucks dust and dirt into the condenser. At least once a year I take it apart and clean the coils, which makes a huge difference in the A/C. Plus the cab is huge with a lot of glass so the A/C has to work full blast to make a difference. The last coil cleaning and re-charge I did made a difference in our August hot as hell temps. Which brings up an issue I have and wonder if anyone else has found a solution. With the A/C on and running, the condensate will pool up in the tray and soak the bottom of the filter. Since it's a tough place to get into I can't see the drain from the bottom. Like my other Cat machines, you can easily find the plastic drain tube where it exits the bottom of the machine. However I have been all underneath it and can't find the tube. I assume it's just clogged up but I am having trouble finding it.
Only one thing to add, the IT, with the twin cylinders on the loader arms, has much better visibility to the forks, but is not quite as rugged as the standard linkage, and actually has slightly less breakout force available due to the standard linkage being Z type and taking advantage of the extension of the cylinder rather than relying on contraction like the IT does. In short, if you are going to do mostly heavy digging with the loader, get the standard. If not, get the IT.
Can you explain this as well? I haven't looked at the machine but am trying to do some homework here first. I find it helps to know if you are really comparing apples to apples.
The AutoShift Trans does not have a shift 'lever' on the floor, rather it has a twist stalk on the F-N-R lever where on 'Powershift' mode you select gears 1 thru 4. When switched to AutoShift mode ( switch on the right front dash) you select the highest gear you want the transmission to use (1-4) and it will automatically shift from 1 up to the gear you selected on the stalk. It will also downshift back down to 2nd - it will not automatically shift into 1st. If you momentarily pull the 'clutch' trigger on the loader joystick, it will downshift into 1st if ground speed and torque are correct to do so. When in AutoShift mode and you have selected 4 as the highest gear, it will also shift into and out of 5th gear, again based on ground speed and torque. For the most part, AutoShift mode is pretty good. However sometimes selecting the gear in Powershift mode is beneficial when you want to force a gear, like climbing hills, or dozing work where you want to maintain a particular speed.
Pdx I road the machine all over town, never knew about 5th gear. How do I get it to shift into 5th?
With the AutoShift transmission only - if you have the transmission switch in Auto ( it's on the right front dash and has ' Auto' on top and a 5 with a slash thru it on the bottom) - and you have the selector rotated to 4 on the F-n-R lever, it will give you a 5th gear. Keep in mind that 1st gear is not automatically downshifted into as it is a very low gear. To try this, before acellerating, press the clutch trigger on the loader lever- that will force a downshift into 1st. Then accelerate and count the shifts - there will be 5 by the time you get to about 15mph. If you have the switch in Powershift mode - dash switch in the bottom 5/ position - you will only have 4 gears selectable on the F-N-R lever. You cannot get into 5th gear when in Powershift mode. This works for D and E series machines with the AutoShift transmission - (and I assume F series, but have not used one yet)