Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Difference between CAT D8K types SA or TT or LGP

olawest · 2018-08-30 06:26

Please kindly help distinguish between Caterpillar D8K "SA" or "TT" or "LGP".

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2018-08-30 07:12

    SA is Special Applications. The D8K was never officially produced in an SA version as far as I know. The first D8 model available specifically as an SA tractor was the D8L. LGP is Low Ground Pressure. Again the D8K was never officially produced in an LGP version. Some folks might call a D8K equipped with the widest track shoes available an LGP but it was never officially called that by Cat. TT - no idea.

  2. #2olawest2018-08-30 07:24

    Thanks Nige!!! TT means Track Type, just wondering if this is the more popular D8K model.

  3. #3Nige2018-08-30 08:19

    Acksherley it's TTT (Track-Type Tractor) but then again every D8 that ever left the factory is by definition a TTT because it has tracks on it. I've never seen one on wheels yet .......... If you are looking at sales of 2nd-hand equipment I get the impression that advertisers who have no idea of equipment are writing the descriptions. Maybe I'm wrong.

  4. #4ih1002018-08-30 15:15

    There were some factory produced D6C's on wheels with chain drive and skid steer. I think they were specials for sugar cane work. Regarding the adverts, I'm always suspicious when I see "tracks 80%", when from the pictures they look over 89% worn out.

  5. #5JD955SC2018-09-01 16:23

    I’m pretty sure the default listing for a used machine includes “80% UC” lol

  6. #6Queenslander2018-09-02 07:06

    Iam (reasonably) sure that there was a D8KSA marketed here. I base this on nothing more than a hazy recollection of reading an ad at the time. I do know that the D6DSA was very popular as a farming tractor here.