I have a 6300 hours C13(2010 model year) in a self propelled tile plow. I would call it a severe application New to me. So far it is running well, not using oil, or leaking anything. I want to keep it that way, so I'm considering using amsoil 15w40. Its really pricey. I'm looking for tips on how best to keep this engine running great, for a long time. What do others do? Ken
High quality oil and Cat filters. I don’t think Amsoil is necessary. We run a couple different 15w40’s (Cat, Rotella and Delo) and I’ve yet to have an issue. All our Cat machines run their DEO ULS oil. We service them every 250 hours. We do EVERY filter EVERY service. Seems excessive but we rarely have issues (no issues with Cat engines or hydraulics as of yet with about 25k combined hours) and it’s usually on the older Watson rigs that all have well over 20k hours on them. Cat is proud of their products but they do make good stuff. I’d use all Cat and keep intervals short and you’ll be in good shape. Keep good fuel in it, keep it full when not in use and move it around periodically when it’s not working. Sitting is by far the hardest thing on them. Also, if it sits long at all throw some rat poison in it to keep the wire munching buggers out of there!! Also, do oil samples. Engine, hydraulic etc. They’ll find issues long before they become a major catastrophe. Beyond oil/filters/service intervals I’d also stay on the overhead adjustment, coolant Ph etc. Wouldn’t want it eating itself from the inside out!
X2
Can't go far wrong with the above recommendations. IMHO far too may people try to over-think PM service work when all it really needs is to use good-quality products and change them at the correct intervals.
Sounds like a plan. The finals and pump drive call for 250 hour interval. I will drop the engine oil/filter at the same time.