Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Difference between D6R & D6RXL ?

DPete ยท 2012-08-25 16:16

I'm guessing the difference is longer swing frames, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm looking at an older D6R to buy, ser# 5LN1440. 10K hour machine but clean.

Replies11
  1. #1Construct'O2012-08-25 16:42

    Plan R is usually just 6 roll frame ,xl is 7 roller frame.6 roller frame machine is not as balanced as 7 roller xl.Xl more track on the ground ,ride easier,1 extra roller too buy

  2. #2DPete2012-08-25 17:29

    Thought I counted 7 rollers, can't tell in the pic because of the push arm.

  3. #3ILLICEMAN2012-08-25 18:25

    Xl only From the pic. it looks like a xl. For finish work it is the only way.It is the only type I will buy.One thing is that the reg. 6 rollar will have more wt.per sq.in. on the tracks.Only a problem if you are in hard ground.

  4. #4rivroshaun2012-08-25 18:28

    D6R Flywheel horsepower: 165hp Operating Wheight: 40,400lbs Blade S, SU, A D6RXL Flywheel horespower: 185hp Operating Whiehgt: 41,252lbs Blade SU, A, PAT

  5. #5DPete2012-08-25 18:40

    I blew up the pic and counted the pads, it's 41 instead of 39 so I guess it's an XL , I'll see what I can dig up on the ser# from Cat

  6. #6SchuLace2012-08-25 20:17

    It is a D6R XL based off of the SN.

  7. #7DPete2012-08-25 20:57

    Thanks Schulace and welcome to the fourm

  8. #8Vantage_TeS2012-08-25 22:10

    XL has 20cm more track length on the ground (longer roller frames) and has higher horsepower for finish grading and increased production. The longer frames make it easier to finish and allow more floatation. The track pad widths offered are the same as a standard tractor but you have a lower ground pressure due to the longer frames. This is a "inbetween" to fill the gap between a standard tractor and a LGP (widepad) version.

  9. #9JDOFMEMI2012-08-26 03:19

    Dan Nice looking D-6R there. You must have some work. Nice to look at new (to you) toys again isn't it.

  10. #10DPete2012-08-26 09:20

    Hi Jerry, yeah I have a job on the hook where it makes sence to buy a D6 instead of rent like I have been since the 8K's left. Not a bad machine for its hours and it is here close by, we'll see. Thinking of heading South in search of a few more if you know of any for sale

  11. #11JDOFMEMI2012-08-26 12:28

    Glad to hear that Dan. I have a D-6R XL, and have been very happy with it. It has had minimal problems, other than the time the night shift sunk it in a muddy pond, pulled it out and hosed it off to hide the evidence, then went home. Funny thing how later the next day, the transmission in my 6,000 hr tractor quit working. When the mechanic came to inspect the problem, he found it was full of sand. It seems they had it buried up over the transmission vent in the soup, and it filled up with sand, then, about 6 hrs later, it was all over for the trans, torque, diff, and it even took out the seals and mixed with the finals. Other than that episode, it has had the equalizer bar bushings go bad a few times, and some minor engine issues, mostly cooling problems due to the belts and pulleys being worn out in the sand. This led to broken exhaust manifold bolts, heated up and failed turbo, etc. It now has close to 17,000 hrs on it, and runs like a champ, wich surprises me because of the hard life it has had. it has been in a fair amount of cobble rock that needed a D-8, but it was all that was available. I don't know of any down here I would recommend. The ones I have seen are rough.