Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Difference between pedal travel valve numbers

Tim98TA · 2025-11-28 14:53

Cat - 315AL Serial Number - 6YM02363 My parts manual lists part number as 121-1814 as being the replacement. Cat wants well over $1k. I'm not paying that much. The issue is that it is leaking bad and I want to replace it. If I do a Google search for that number, I get a lot of hits that also include part #158-8250. Cat parts site says they can't confirm as a match for my machine. Any gurus out there have any knowledge that 158-8250 nay work?

Replies14
  1. #1Tyler d4c2025-11-28 19:18

    Why not just reseal what you got

  2. #2Tim98TA2025-11-28 19:31

    Because I'm not sure if resealing it will do. I'm not sure if all the components and body are good. They could be worn and or scraped up to where a seal kit will not work. It's a 1994 machine so that's what worries me. A complete aftermarket valve is between 250 and $300. That's worth it to me

  3. #3Simon C2025-11-28 20:49

    Only worth it if it works and fits 100%. Have bought a few car parts aftermarket with okay results. In the heavy equipment world, if someone else has used a given product you could save a bundle and all good. However some have found that after too much wasted time that the new aftermarket parts was no good. Maybe somone will chime in with your experience with pedal travel valves. How much is the kit from Cat to reseal is what would help decide . Simon C

  4. #4Nige2025-11-30 12:09

    158-8250 was fitted on 315 excavators from the C-model onwards. It does not X-ref backwards to the 121-1814 as far as anything I can see is concerned. Why not pull it apart and take a look.? Everything marked "RRP" (recommended replacement part) is what I would look to replace and all together will not cost anything like $1000. What do you have to lose at this point.?

  5. #5Tim98TA2025-11-30 14:31

    Thanks Nige. So I can scratch 158-8250 as a replacement. Looking at my parts breakdown, I don't see anything marked RRP, so I went through and priced all the internal items. It looks like on their 'QTY REQUIRED' they are only accounting for one side of the valve. There is, of course, a left and right portion of it. Attached is a breakdown from the parts manual as well as pictures of the complete valve. When they mention, say, '2 REQUIRED', it should really be a total of 4 for the complete valve. Correct me if I'm wrong. Adding the complete cost for the internals required, comes to $1128.56. Complete valve, from Cat, is $1040.02. I have found complete aftermarket valves from around $250 and up.

  6. #6heymccall2025-11-30 14:51

    4ea of #6, 7, & 9. Don't be afraid of such a simple device. Oh, and 2 of #4 if they're torn or compromised.

  7. #7Tim98TA2025-11-30 14:59

    Yep, I have all of those figured in.

  8. #8heymccall2025-11-30 15:20

    099-6135 $8×4 ... $32 094-0876 $6×4 ... $24 095-1586 $2×4 ... $8 Bellows $51×2 ... $104 $168 Usd if my math is right.

  9. #9Nige2025-11-30 17:52

    Take a look at this pdf attachment. I meant to upload it when I posted previously. The RRP list is shown on it.

  10. #10Tim98TA2025-11-30 18:45

    Thanks Nige. Your breakdown is slightly different than mine. Your numbers & descriptions are in different order and has 1 more item than mine. #16 099-6139-Spool I am going to save it as another reference though.

  11. #11Nige2025-11-30 18:58

    That attachment came straight from you-know-where and is based on your full 6YM02363 Serial Number.

  12. #12Tim98TA2025-11-30 20:20

    As I was going through my part manual again, I have noticed that there are 3 different valves. 121-1814 Cat says unable to verify fit for my machine serial number. $1040.02 087-5675 Cat says unable to verify fit for my machine serial number, & has been indirectly replaced. 111-1028 Cat says FACTORY FIT. $1982.90 No where on those pages, in the parts manual, does it say the difference or what serial number range it is for, but there are a few of the part numbers that are different. Neither breakdown, in my manual lists 099-6139 Spool, as yours did. This is getting a bit confusing. I may just call Cat tomorrow and see if one of their parts people can figure it out.

  13. #13Universal Parts2025-11-30 23:14

    The 158-8250 is not compatible with your machine; you can only use the 1211814, a 6-hole foot valve, which costs approximately 280 USD. Message me for photos of the part.

  14. #14Nige2025-12-01 05:39

    Actually what I see is that 111-1028 forms part of the 104-9162 Pilot Lines Gp which is factory fit for machines from 6YM01880-Up. The internal wearing parts of the two valves are mostly the same Part Numbers although quantities differ. See the attached. When you supplied the 121-1814 Valve Part Number I never questuned it. Maybe I should have. 121-1814 is listed as a Valve Gp for a foot pedal-controlled AUX function. It is not a travel pedal valve. It is included in the following AUX Arrangements, none of which are fitted to your machine. 7I-8555, 7I-8556, & 7I-8557.