Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Difference between sprocket on the front or on the back

pachhh34 ยท 2017-09-12 13:36

Hi, I was wondering what is the difference if it is Front sprocket drive if I can say it or rear sprocket drive . I read the difference is in the wear of the shoes but I want to know more about that and why and when you use front sprocket or back sprocket drive. Thanks in advance

Replies12
  1. #1kshansen2017-09-12 19:14

    Not 100% sure about the question but the way I understand it on say a dozer. If the drive sprocket is at the rear and you are traveling forward the tension on the track chain is in a straight line. Now if this same machine is traveling backwards the tension on the chain goes all the way around the front idler and is putting a load on the pins and bushings while the chain is moving around the idler causing much more wear on those parts. I hope that explanation made sense and answered some of your question.

  2. #2Welder Dave2017-09-12 20:05

    Terex tried a front sprocket on a track loader. How may Terex track loaders do you see?

  3. #3mrappels2017-09-24 17:16

    For working with an excavator, having your sprockets at the back is the only way to work and travel. they weren't designed to take shock loading like the idler on the other end, they're raised slightly too so they don't carry the weight of the machine. they also don't like things hitting them (exposure to falling debris from the bucket when loading) and what khansen said applies to all tracks.. Not exactly sure if this fits in on your question, but thought it was worth a mention.

  4. #4Welder Dave2017-09-24 20:47

    I think an excavator is a little different application than a dozer or loader. On a dozer having the sprockets at front would be like running in reverse and wear the undercarriage way faster.

  5. #5RZucker2017-09-24 21:14

    The big issue with the Euclid (pre Terex) loader was the tracks tended to "bunch up" behind the front mounted sprockets when the machine was pushing hard.

  6. #6Welder Dave2017-09-25 00:51

    Kshansen touched on it. The loading is totally different and harder on everything.

  7. #7DMiller2017-09-25 12:54

    Tanks drove from both ends at any point of time. Either pulling rails from the front over the top and shoving them under(front Sprocket) or pulling from under to push across the top(rear drive). Never been much emphasis on either end being better for a tracked military machine but in dirt work makes it much easier to pull the rails from under to feed forward over the top developing better control of machine.

  8. #8kshansen2017-09-25 13:34

    I doubt military was too concerned about long life of under carriage! Not like a production machine that was expected to work for thousands of hours.

  9. #9DMiller2017-09-25 13:50

    Exactly, short lived sacrificial anodes. IE: Targets.

  10. #10Plant Fitter2017-09-25 16:20

    How are army tank tracks made? I have always presumed that they are different than earthmoving tracks as they go so much faster. But I have never seen any up close.

  11. #11DMiller2017-09-25 16:51

    Smaller lighter pins with bearings, outer edge of rails have drive on 'Clips', can be split anywhere on the rail and sections added or removed as needed. Most newer have rubber block faces so can run on roads. Drive from outer edge clips on sprockets. http://i.ytimg.com/vi/zscvKPhdfZk/maxresdefault.jpg

  12. #12mrappels2017-09-25 18:56

    Very interesting! Bit off topic, but looks a dam side easier than Splitting Dozer and excavator tracks we usually needed a 100 ton press and occasionally a 14lb hammer too, for the sticky pins on the D9 and the 374D..