Morning all! There is some work being done around the house. The men started with a 310SG until a gear stripped out. Someone said this is a problem with the G, SG's. Is it really, or just something these guys were saying? They switched to a 310SE. I was telling them that my friends 310E hydraulic pump is going out. They said they knew of 2 or 3 others with bad pumps and all were 310E's. I figured that was just coincidence, but I looked online and the E does use a different pump than the SE. Are the 310E's notorious for pumps going out? I would like to purchase a TLB and would consider the newer G or SG better than the E, SE. Any one in particular more reliable than the others? THANKS!!!
Not really a ton off difference operation wise. The E and G have smaller front tires and a single gear pump. The SE & SG have taller front tires and a double stack gear pump. When the seat is forward the rear pump is unloaded so you have more HP available for driving. When you turn the seat backwards the 2nd pump adds hyd flow to help cycle times and muti-functioning on the hoe. The E & SE will have a mechanical fuel pump. Most G/SG will have tier II engines. The E/G are NA and the SE/SG are turboed. E/SE will have manual levers for the hoe while most G/SG will have pilot controls like an excavator. Also seems that many more dealers ordered the SG's with powershift trannys than the SE's. At least around here. I wouldn't say they have a real issue with the pumps failing on any model. Lack of maintenance can be and issue since Hygard is terrible about trapping water in the hyd system. In the G/SG they went to engine oil in the hyds which seemed to help. Many of the issues I've seen with the rear diffs are caused by "crash locking" the diff or using the diff lock in high traction situations. It is a fairly common failure point.
Wow, certainly appreciate the info.
I'm not much of a 310e/g fan. Would definitely take a G over an E. And prefer a SG/SE over the SJ/SK, Just for the fact of how complicated the machines have gotten. I've put a few hours on a 310SE. Good machine, decent pushing power and hoe was good. If I had to buy one today a 310SG or 410G would be it if I had to work it day in and day out. Really like the pilot controls in the G's. Plus the 4045 engines that come in all of them are pretty reliable!! Yes there have been some transmission failures. Most that I have noticed is from misuse or lack of service.
I’m retired now but previously owned six 310sg’s and have kept two for ranch projects. They are good machines but all seem to have some of the same issues with breakdowns. We replaced several rear ends due to the diff lock failing. JD said that the operators were engaging diff lock under full load and leaving their foot on the button. We ended up installing a red light on the dash that reminded the operators to release the lock. Another issue is the relay located in the fuse box in front of the steering wheel, when it fails it will not let the tractor start and it can be intermittent. Make sure you replace it with OEM or gamble on an aftermarket that is made for 100% duty cycle. It’s easy to check, just turn the key on and listen for it to clunk or use a test light between the two large posts. Tried a name brand from the parts store and it melted in a short time. The pilot control switch occasionally fails and needs to be replaced and in a pinch you can pry the rocker out and with a jumper wire plug into the front pin then touch the rear pin then plug it into the middle pin. If you get an F9 C4 error code just go ahead and replace the motor control module on the left side of the engine under the injector pump, the machine will usually still run, I’m not sure if any damage is done if you ignore it. I know this is an old post but I’m sure there are sg’d still out there with these issues.