Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Different backhoe swing designs

hammerdwn20 · 2010-02-28 08:39

I have a small Case loader and would like to build a backhoe for it in the summer. Yesterday i was playing around with the conventional 2 cylinder design and some plywood to get the geometry right for 180*. Ive got it pretty close but it does take up quite a bit of space. Are there other designs that are compact and still allow for 180*? I figured You guys have used almost every machine ever made and designs outside of the US. Here a couple pictures.

Replies5
  1. #1Phil2010-02-28 21:23

    Have you tried going to the different dealers that sell compacts, for ideas? Lots of Kubota hoe attachments at the local dealer here. One was so small I think I could almost lift it. I have seen pictures at the local Princess Auto store of a chap who made one. Phil

  2. #2hammerdwn202010-03-01 16:00

    the small kubotas like the bx25 and similar compacts dont swing 180*. ill just have to keep playing with wood until i get it right.

  3. #3Phil2010-03-01 18:57

    I looked at some Kioti's today. They are made in Korea and look like a Kubota. The CK series with the KB2475 and KB2465 hoe is designed to swing 180deg. I have the brochure here showing the specs. I see the swing cylinders are laid out like the Case 580 backhoes, side by side. I've seen several swing cylinder designs, like the Ford model with the chain connecting 2 single acting cylinders, or the old ** hoes with the swing motor. I think the International hoes were different again in their design, but I can't remember exactly how they work. The very early Case backhoe used 2 cylinders that really stuck out at an angle. I saw an old Fordson Major once that used a wire cable connected to a cylinder up front. Phil

  4. #4fpgm042010-03-01 21:33

    The 2 cylinder swing geometries that I have seen are “over-center” in design in order to get 180 degree swing. The swing cylinders will over-center by about 1”+ and is usually driven by the mechanics of the geometry, although I think some older machines actually had a special swing valve and physical valve linkage to the swingtower to over-center hydraulically. Good luck in your project!

  5. #5hammerdwn202010-03-02 15:49

    Thats the way it worked out in when i did it in plywood. I had a 1/2" of "over travel" when swung to the extremes. ive got to see if i can jam the cylinders on either side of the differential to get this design to work.