I was looking in a CAT book today trying to determine a 320C Longstick's max lifting capacity at full reach. I was wondering what the difference was between Reach boom, Mass boom, and VA boom? Can anyone help? I am still learning.... thanks!
Reach is the standard boom, Mas is a short boom for heavy lifting and mass excavation, and a VA boom is variable angle by way of a hydraulic cylinder.
Go to this link for the Cat 325D and it explains the different booms and sticks available on page 10. Good info. http://www.scribd.com/doc/13280330/Caterpillar-325D
I appreciate the help guys. I was curious... what are some advantages of the Variable Adjustable booms vs. a reach boom? Does it allow for longer reaches or other functions? Thanks.
You see VA or 2-piece booms on wheeled excavators a lot in the US. Compared to a 1-piece bent boom, it doesn't necessarily give more horizontal reach but does allow more vertical reach. It can broaden your lift capacity at different reaches by using the different boom cylinders at different times. The 2pc boom lets you work closer to the undercarriage. There's some Rototilt videos on YouTube that show this. Imagine with a mower head on, you can reach over the guardrail and mow along a road without standing too far away and blocking more traffic. A 2pc boom on a wheeled machine is better for load-and-carry. Imagine moving highway barriers - it allows the operator to pull the load closer to the front axle for better stability when walking - less "porpoise" down the road. And when driving on the road the 2pc boom can be pulled completely back to give the operator full visibility out the right side window, more safe.
By memory a Long Reach machine for a 320C, has a 312C pickup.