Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Different Dedicated Mulcher

hvy 1ton ยท 2016-07-11 18:26

Met one of these out on the highway this afternoon. http://www.raycomfg.com/media/blfa_files/C100_Tire_September_2015_1.pdf I thought maybe it was a baby hydroax or similar in the quick glance i got. As big as it looked on the tag trailer i was expecting more than 99hp.

Replies4
  1. #1mowingman2016-07-11 20:54

    Yes, that is the new rubber tire version of the C100 track machine. I have hundreds of hours in the seat of the steel track version. Don't let the HP fool you. These things can easily shred a 6"-8" diam. tree, depending on the type of wood. The Rayco machines are a super high maintenance machine. You almost need to have a fulltime mechanic and tool truck sitting right on the job. The A/C system and cab dust seals are a joke. I use a gas-powered leaf blower to clean out the cab about every 4 hours, in dusty conditions. You can also forget trying to operate these Rayco machines in temps over about 80 degrees. The cab temp. becomes unbearable, due to the poor A/C system and poor cab seals. Having said all this, the machine is quite impressive in it's capabilities. I have mulched as much as 3 acres/day, in thick trees and brush, in certain conditions. I have operated the 99HP machine, as well as the larger Rayco 140HP machine. I bet that wheeled machine rides rough. The track models are not too bad.

  2. #2lantraxco2016-07-11 22:03

    Rayco is an old company, but relatively new to self propelled machines with operator's seats. Sounds like they don't have the engineering quite up to snuff yet?

  3. #3mowingman2016-07-11 23:29

    Well, they have been building machines with cabs and A/C since at least 2005, maybe before that. I really don't know why they can not get that part right.

  4. #4Tones2016-07-12 19:55

    Neither do I, plus other problems that have never been corrected.