Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Different transmission configurations

cuttin edge · 2024-03-30 11:45

How many different manual shift transmission configurations are out there? No light truck or automotive, nor any twin gearbox set ups. Only ones I am familiar with are 8, 9, 10, 13, 15, 18, and I think I've heard of a 22 speed, or maybe that was my bike? I know there are several variations of some, but how many can you name?

Replies35
  1. #192U 34062024-03-30 12:29

    Spicer had a 16 speed I think.

  2. #2cuttin edge2024-03-30 13:22

    I'm a big fan of an 8LL in a tandem dump configuration. You get good highway speed, while being able to pull out of a bad hole loaded. 18 is the popular choice with log haulers. I have not really come across many 15 speeds in newer trucks. I remember a few with the big gear towards the dash, but mostly with the switch on the dash for deep reduction. We have one truck with a 9 speed. to me it's just a ten speed that you don't go into the low position for the first gear on the high side. I think 13s have a lot of variations. I remember the ones with the big round chrome selector with lo intermediate and direct. as well as the 13 over

  3. #3BC Placer gold2024-03-30 14:32

    New to an 8LL but seems easy to shift and really creeps in lo....not sure about our highway speed yet. Found the line set ticket and it shows a rear ratio of 5.38 (mistakenly thought it was a 4.xx)

  4. #4BC Placer gold2024-03-30 14:41

    Loggers here, typically tri-drive with 18sp.

  5. #5Acoals2024-03-30 14:41

    Mack had a lot of interesting transmissions. The ones I have driven anyway were set up quite differently than a Roadranger.

  6. #6Truck Shop2024-03-30 15:27

    Eaton discontinued the 15 speed because of being able to handle the high torque output of electronic engines. There was no such thing as a double over 15 spd, never produced. 15 speeds became popular with otr's because a overdrive 15 in top gear with 3.70 drives dropped the RPM to 1425 running a B model Cat, it was about mileage. It needed the deep reduction for backing up. The direct 15 was there but it never sold like the 15 OD. * 8,9,10,11,13,15 & 18. The 11 spd is a super reduction gear box 35.00 to 1, used mainly in spreading material. It is a super slow gear box. * Double overdrive, early on there were only three that were double overdrive, RT009513, RT001113 & RT0014613, with a overdrive of .62. But the RTLO18918B technically is a double over with 1.00 in seventh and .86-.73 in 8th. Although Eaton does not list it as being a double overdrive. * The 9 spd came in a wide variety of configurations, the strangest was the model with backward shift pattern-like a OD 15 high was forward, 9spd B. * Really the big change came when the RTLO's came out in early 90's, High Torques with tapered counter shaft bearings in the rear section. The rear section was the weakest piece in all because of ball roller bearings and the splitter for high range was at the rear{back of case on the output shaft}, and it's design was not acceptable with pre-selecting. When RTLO's were introduced the splitter was moved to the front of the back section and intersected with a sliding clutch to the auxiliary drive gear {rear output gear on the front section} which was 8 times stronger. Plus the counter shafts with tapered bearing were shimmed for preload which took allot of slack out of the gear train. * The other major change was adding the Halo oiling design. Instead of pressurized drip/spray oiling of only the auxiliary output gear like on early designs, Eaton added the Halo { called halo because it's a tube that goes around the input shaft at front of front case sandwiched between case and bell housing. It is a tube positioned directly over the main shaft gear cluster and sprays 50wt straight down on the gear sets. * Not much to talk about with 8LL's, those were designed for mixers/dumps, and that's where those shine. * The 9 & 10 are a fleet spec transmission, for two big reasons. First weight-250 lbs less without the splitter back section, fleets want standardized/simple/light weight trucks. Second there is no extra air ops to maintain, less to get torn up. * Torque ratings have increased to over 2,300 ft lbs torque, with 2 1/2" input shafts, clutch ratings over 2050 Ft Lbs torque. * Think about this--late 60's early 70's 1693 Cat with the rack screw pulled out, and lowly RTO9513 hanging on it. That's all there was back then, my old partner in the shop {Gayle} had 3 Pete's {2 cabovers & 1 conventional} with extremely fueled 3408's. A 12513 spd would last about 150,000 miles on average before it became toast.

  7. #7cuttin edge2024-03-30 16:11

    I remember a truck having an air operated clutch brake. It was a little plunger on the shifter. Push it down, and it came up when you let it go. Never drove it. Not sure if it was a thing at one time, or something custom. Only time it would be used would be starting out. Never saw one again.

  8. #8Truck Shop2024-03-30 18:18

    Only time I've seen those were on tankers for pto/pump engage-disengage. Who knows what that one was for.

  9. #9Truck Shop2024-03-30 18:26

    Have a photo of the Halo oiling with the front/input bearing retainer for explanation. And some photos of ones I've had on the bench a few years back. Best job in the shop rebuilding gear boxes. *

  10. #10Truck Shop2024-03-30 18:28
  11. #11Truck Shop2024-03-30 18:30
  12. #12Truck Shop2024-03-30 18:33
  13. #13Truck Shop2024-03-30 18:51

    Installing clutch--I install with clutch loaded on the transmission input shaft-clutch fork hooked over T/O bearing. With the wood/plastic T/O bearing retainer/depression left in place. Only the input shaft has to be lined up with pilot bearing--goes right together. Install all bell housing bolts, Looking through clutch inspection hole line clutch cover with bolt holes in flywheel. Using a long extension and a pry bar to tip/lift the cover slightly start a bolt go to the next start it, bar engine to next set of bolt holes in clutch cover start those and repeat till all eight are started. Then gradually run them down baring engine. Torque to 55 Ft lbs. As you do this the wood blocks installed on new clutch will become loose and normally fall out, sometimes you have to knock them out with a bar. Hook up linkage and set/ adjust clutch, normally it's pretty close with turned flywheel. * Reason I do it this way is it's easier than trying to push the transmission input shaft through the two clutch plates, and it stops the possibility of a clutch plate getting damaged from installation--it happens. The other reason--it saves getting hurt lifting if no clutch jack is available. And this can only be done with the 15" clutch not a 14". *

  14. #14Truck Shop2024-03-30 18:58

    Then there is the secret gear {Ghost gear in the 13spd}. If in fifth direct and needing to drop to forth in the low range side--shift splitter to overdrive and quickly pull it into {Low}. It gives a gear ratio between 4th & 5th. I've done it a few times but don't recommend a rookie to try it.

  15. #15Old Doug2024-03-30 19:08

    I had heared of this before but forgot. I rebuilt several transmissions years ago and had good luck I can't even remember what they were now?

  16. #16JaredV2024-03-30 19:37

    I remember reading a dash plate that said not to use the low hole in high range or damage can be done. I don't remember what the tranny was. I use it from time to time but try to avoid it because of that even though I've never noticed any noise. Was that just for a certain transmission or a wive's tale perpetrated by Eaton?

  17. #17cuttin edge2024-03-30 19:59

    I heard guys call it the funny gear

  18. #18Truck Shop2024-03-30 20:03

    The early models were capable-and yes it can/could cause issues--I don't recommend anyone trying, for the same reasons Eaton doesn't. With the big power these days it's pointless. I used it also--but in over, low gear is flying.

  19. #19MG842024-03-30 20:20

    So what about sub-transmissions? I seem to recall and old C65 tandem grain truck that had a 5spd + 2spd sub transmission at my uncles farm. Also saw a mid-80's L9000 tandem dump with a 429 gas engine and a 5+4 for sale several years ago, clean truck, sold for only $3500 I guess because of the engine/trans combo.

  20. #20Truck Shop2024-03-30 20:55

    You mean Main & Auxiliary. Those can still be bought/ordered, but no one does because those require some memory people don't want to use anymore, plus the design of those was because 220 HP was about all that was available in big power in the 30's,40's 50's & early 60's. With the power of todays engines there just is no reason. 4x3, 4x4, 5x3, 5x4 & 6X4 were the common. Like I said before a 9 spd & 4 spd 2141 auxiliary makes a great combo. With any set-ups like that the aux is left in direct in many cases just using the 9. But it gives a bunch of low gears when needed using deep under/under, the in high range on the 9 you can split the top four between direct and over. All of this provided its a progressive ratioed auxiliary.

  21. #21MG842024-03-30 21:59

    Yes that's word I was looking for. That C65 may have been a 5x3, can't remember, had a 427 so no powerhouse in a tandem. On the other end of the spectrum, I sometimes see a fairly heavy truck with only a 5 or 6 speed transmission. There was an L9000 tandem semi tractor for sale a few months back with a Detroit (can't remember, either 6V92 or 8v71) and a 5 speed?!?!

  22. #2263 caveman2024-03-31 05:33

    Never heard of this before! I'm going to try that next one I do. I'm getting older and those dang things are getting heavier!

  23. #23Truck Shop2024-03-31 06:44

    I haven't installed a 15" clutch on the flywheel first in what must be 40 years. Sometimes when you know the clutch isn't old but is having issues of one sort or another, clutch and trans can be unbolted slid back as a unit. Just enough for clutch to clear bell housing. Drop the jack slide the old clutch off slide the new clutch on back up & back together. Works well when space is limited, with some help to lift clutch cover of coarse. * Always liked the Cat powered with baring tool ports on both sides of rear structure. I used the right side because I could stay on the creeper. Normally I would have someone help bar engines over.

  24. #24Truck Shop2024-03-31 07:14

    Detroit's followed by a gear box with minimal speed selection is usually a Allison slush box. Detroit's don't like to be lugged--well neither does a Cummins or Cat. But MacK the Crack like to put their famous 5 speed behind a Maxidyne's and such. You could always tell a Mack that had one, lugging, smoke poring out the stack, along with that Mack drone of straining at the bit trying to pickup road speed all the while the driver with his right foot just mashing the floor. Mack lovers rave over them--it gave them more time to reach for a Little Debbie Snack between shifts.

  25. #25cuttin edge2024-03-31 08:23

    Nothin like the sound of a good working gas job. Not many left

  26. #26MG842024-03-31 09:23

    This definitely was a manual, straight shifter coming through the floor, just a regular little shift knob (no splittler, range button,etc). Description said 5spd, could have maybe been a 6 but IDK. Was for sale in Kentucky, looked to be owned by a farmer. Don't know if it was factory or if someone had been swapping stuff around, but looked like an absolutely terrible combination to me.

  27. #2756wrench2024-03-31 11:04

    My brother had an old ‘74 Chev 70 series with a Detroit 6V53, an Allison MT650 and a Spicer 7041. Was originally specced for a power company auger truck. I’ve never seen another one like it. On a further note, that little air button for the trans/clutch brake was also used by GM gas jobs with a small 13spd in about 1978. I drove one with a 454. It had a little more torque than a 427. They were quite rare around here

  28. #28terex herder2024-03-31 11:24

    I've not seen a low deck big block in a factory GM truck. I know a couple of guys that claimed them, but a quick glance showed they were tall decks.

  29. #2956wrench2024-03-31 11:31

    This was a tall-deck 454. Not many made according to the GM parts guy at the time

  30. #30Truck Shop2024-03-31 14:42

    The trouble with most auxiliary boxes was the direct/over split, an example the old 8341 came in several ratio varieties. the best were progressive. The 1241 progressive was a good auxiliary even splits all the way through. I drove a 77 Freightliner 86" cab coe that had a 12V71 and 5x4 progressive 3 trips to the markets in California. Coming back north up I-5, first Dunsmur Canyon before Shasta and Ashland in the Siskiyou's it would flat pull. Wind it to 2200 come back in at 1800 plus. But it was tiresome in heavy traffic, plus the constant scream of the salt water chevy was endless.

  31. #31cfherrman2024-03-31 19:50

    Untill recently, because hydraulics, people would use aux transmissions for the ptos for winches, put the main in a gear and the aux in neutral and kick in the PTO, many speeds to choose from.

  32. #32Truck Shop2024-03-31 20:03

    Yes that's gone on for a long time. Plus the power tower.

  33. #33cfherrman2024-03-31 20:08

    I'm guessing a power tower is a transfer case?

  34. #3456wrench2024-04-01 09:44

    Some old winch trucks used a 13spd main and a 3 or 4spd auxiliary. Around here the power tower was the whole top cover for the auxiliary with the gear drive for the winch included a F-N-R selector. If i remember right, the power tower was driven internally off the drive gear on the auxiliary transmission input shaft

  35. #35Truck Shop2024-04-01 09:55

    Correct.