custom rail car unloader i seen in dallas
That's real interesting!! I'd love to see a close up of the underside.
they use a machine similair to that here in idaho except it rides on the back of a truck
both would be real neat to see
I would love to have one of those right now...
I worked on one of those trucks in our shop once when it was brand new and it didn't have the excavator mounted on it yet. I never did know what it was for. I thought it had an awful lot of hydraulics on it for just a flatbed. Those are some seriously heavy duty trucks. All three rear axles are drive axles
Looks like the Herzog methods: http://www.herzogcompanies.com/rrservices/index.php I wouldn't guess which came first. Neat watching them in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4toJA5EXcM
I'm pretty sure that herzog was first. There's other cartoppers like the brandt style but they used tie crane houses on the walking beam. but here's the link to another thread about this style machine. Excavator on Gondola Car
basicly the turn table is just mounted to the bottom an I-beam frame and then the big down legs are mounted to the tracks. longer lines run the hydrualic track drive motors. its insanely simple.
There is an article in this months Earthmovers magazine about a Cat 365 that has been converted in a similar fashion, called a Multidocker, 99% Cat, found this link you might find intresting. Apparently there are 7 in UK now so its not a 1 off by any fashion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yySYuuEiC3U
It has been mentioned before but I might as well through it in again: http://www.multidocker.se/ I'm not sure but I think I've seen other brands converted this way as well so there could be other players than multidocker.
here are some good ones
Neat. I like the cab on a stick...
Yes the top one is the one I saw before, Pullpan. Found their site as well: http://www.mantsinen.com/
Strange that these and Multidocker are from the same part of the world. Wonder if an ex employee thought he could do as good a job with another manufacturers machine. One uses Hitachi, tother uses C@t :beatsme
Interesting point, AtlasRob. To be fair Liebherr makes these toys as well, both on wheels and tracks: http://www.liebherr.com/ch/en/products_ch.asp?menuID=106287!2032-0 http://www.liebherr.com/ch/en/products_ch.asp?menuID=106287!2034-0
I was thinking out loud more than anything else. I think most of the major players and some specialists ( Fuch ) built some sort of material handler. The article in Earthmovers magazine about a MultiDocker was the first time I had seen anything that extreme, then you pointed out the Hitachi based machines and I was struck by the fact that both companies are from the same part of the world. :drinkup
A slight twist to the concept .
That is one good backhoe operator Iron Horse. As a railroad engineer I have seen a backhoe climb up on a gondola car and ride up there unloading new cross ties as I eased the train along. He even moved from car to car as he emptied them while the train was in motion. The sides on a gon are much lower than the hopper in your pictures and I would never have thought a backhoe could climb that high.
I'll bet the oil light was starting to flicker . I can only imagine what would happen if the slew pin broke or it blew a hose . His head would become part of the canopy . I'd say the operator has got a big set of batteries .
9420 Pullpan; I recently found the pictures you posted of various railcar unloaders and was wondering if you might have any additional information on the timber loader in the second picture you posted (I hope I quoted it correctly above). I’m asking because I’m trying to determine if I can make a 1:64th scale model of this loader by modifying a 1:64th scale CAT 385CL so that I could add this loader to my S-scale layout. If I determine that the “cab” and “body” of this prototype are close to the model, I would add custom “legs” and create the boom and grapple either from custom parts or by adding parts from 1:50 scale models. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200343028_200343028 Any additional information I can learn about the prototype, such as the specific make and model of this piece of equipment, would help me greatly in determining if it is possible to create this model and, if it is feasible, in building it. Thank you in advance. Tyler
you would definatly have to buckle up....take a left fast swing into a pile that stops the machine,. youre liable to be flung clear out of the cab lol keep the pic's comeing
I found this picture of this unique piece of equipment more than a year ago and, since finding it, have wanted to build a model of it for my ‘S’-scale (1:64th scale) model railroad. I was wondering if any of you might have more information on this piece of equipment… I’m thinking about modifying a die-cast CAT 385E to create this piece of equipment but aren’t sure if that’s a good idea… Any information and/or additional pictures you can provide would be greatly appreciated…
Nice! My Dad used to load his JD on the old flatbed binder that way but it wasn't near as high as that. He only rolled twice in 30 years lol! Had too invest in tagalongs after JD went to the single ram in the center of the bucket. Couldn't roll the bucket over the roof of the truck anymore because the ram stuck up then and was over height.
they build them rigs right here in my home town like 5 min from my shop pretty cool to see em working
Those photos of the backhoe climbing the rail cars reminded me of my first time running a backhoe. I was working part time as a mechanic for a construction company when the owner called me and wanted to know if I could run a backhoe. I was dumb enough to say of course I can I can run anything. He told me he had a tri axle dump truck on its way to get me and the machine and told me what to do when I got to the job site. After quite a bit of searching I still could not find a trailer to load the machine on. So after waiting on the truck to show up hoping he had a trailer with him, I was surprised to see him show up without one. I asked the driver how he was going to haul it without a trailer and he replied the boss told me you said you could operate a backhoe so you can just load it in the back of the truck. It took me a few minutes to get the tail gate off and work up the courage to try loading the machine but it did work. I was even able to put the tail gate back on with the hoe that was still in the truck. After that every time we needed to move a hoe without a trailer I was the dummy that had to load and unload it. I learned real quickly from that experience to not claim to be able to do anything that I had never done before. Smitty
Mantsinen was before Multidocker. My opinion is that founder of Multidocker saw Mantsinen material handler and thin that is good idea. Mantsinen use also Cat upper structures (330,345,365,385 and made also one with 5110), as well as also Komatsu 1250. First material handlers to sold outside was made with Liebherr upperstructure (954) something like 13 years ago. Today Mantsinen make also own upper structures, heaviest one is depending what is application something like 230 metric tons. That kind of machine you can find from Ohio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Ryd72OzCY