Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

differential oil level

coastlogger ยท 2022-05-28 10:55

A question Ive been pondering for awhile.In a differential with a bad seal,the oil level typically goes down to about the level of the bottom of the seal and stabilizes there. Still quite a bit of oil there and itd get splashed around by the large gear so Id think that lube would get onto all necessary parts.Of course there wouldnt be as much oil to dissapate heat. I have a champion grader with this exact issue. Seal on axle is shot I guess and oil migrates into RH chain case.Grader only gets used for short periods so I dont think heat would be an issue Would I be safe running the oil low I wonder? When I bought the grader 6 years ago the oil level was low,telling me that previous owner likely ran on that theory. Ive been keeping it topped up but think Im maybe wasting time and oil.

Replies4
  1. #1skadill2022-05-28 11:43

    this is a no warranty bandaid, but you can put a bit of gear oil in with a bunch of grease in a pail, heat it up enough that it will pour in .Th is will not leak out the seal, and will stay sticky in there forever. Done in on Excavator swing transmission before with no leak after

  2. #2coastlogger2022-05-28 12:10

    Now theres an idea!!My kind of redneck engineering. So I dont have the whole diff filled with this stuff or?

  3. #3terex herder2022-05-28 17:40

    While I've never used it in a differential there are greases that are made specifically for gearboxes that get to hot for a seal to live. Often sold as "cornhead grease", they are a grade 0 grease available in typical 14oz tubes or 35# pails.

  4. #4Questionable wizard2022-05-28 18:42

    NGLI #1 grease. JD corn head grease should be ideal for your situation