I am looking for recommendations for a compact excavator. I need the smallest possible excavator but needs to have a thumb. This would be for homestead use so doesn’t need bells & whistles or super high end quality. I have seen some really cheap imports on Ebay but wary of anything that doesn’t have a dealership service center and figure you get what you pay for.
A hydraulic thumb can be added to any mini ex that has an aux hydraulic circuit.
Could you provide a more in-depth description of what you plan to do with the machine? Will you ever need to or want to transport it? What is your budget? Are you capable of repairing and maintaining the machine on your own? What equipment dealers do you have nearby?
There comes a point with little excavators where they become excessively tippy. If you're going to be dealing with hills possibly side hills, the smallest machine might be too small you get what I'm saying?
How could this be tippy on uneven ground???
Beats a shovel!
I rented one once from HomeDepot so you know it was small. I had to get in under some trees so I rented a toy from HD. It might as well have been a shovel for the amount of material that little bucket will move. Took forever to dig a hole 6' deep. Joe H
Try it next time by hand and see if you still prefer that way, I will use the hoe instead, even a 1 ton machine is faster then 2-3 guys on a shovel and it doesn't slow down.
My father told me time and time again “Hydraulics are a mans best friend. The dog may start the hole but you have to finish it or fill it in”.
It definitely was less work, but it took forever compared to a real bucket. Fun toy and I can see a place for them but if you need a hole be patient. Home depot is the closest place & I think it was only a couple hundred bucks for the day so it worked out. Joe H