Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dig with the blade in front or back?

HALSJCB · 2019-12-13 08:44

I have seen operators of compact excavators dig with the blade in the front and with the blade in the rear. Which way is easiest on the machine drive motors? Does the weight of the machine make a difference? My machine is 6300 #. I am digging out some stumps which is working the machine pretty hard and don't want to abuse it if possible. Presently working on a sugar maple that seems to have me stumped at the moment. I may have to resort to dynamite.

Replies17
  1. #1Rob Gunn2019-12-13 10:34

    I always put the blade toward the dig and in the down position. Basically using it as stabilizer and transferring the digging pressure to the ground via the blade rather than the tracks. Curious if I am correct?

  2. #2Bls repair2019-12-13 12:34

    I do both,normal digging I put blade behind me to see better. Hard digging (rock,concrete roots stumps )I put blade in front to keep machine from tipping and get more digging power.

  3. #3John Canfield2019-12-13 17:30

    Bobcat (and others) want the blade in front when digging. I'll do light digging the other way around but not often.

  4. #4kilohertz2019-12-14 11:56

    I usually have the blade to the front for reasons mentioned, however if I am on a hill digging on the high side, I will place the blade downhill, especially if I am swinging material to the side...I like the little bit of extra stability. Cheers

  5. #592U 34062019-12-14 12:13

    In my mind, idlers are meant to hold weight, final drives are for travelling.

  6. #6CM19952019-12-14 17:09

    Here we go...

  7. #7HALSJCB2019-12-14 18:39

    The reason I asked the original question is because I am totally new to excavators and their operation. This is my first experience with one and I plan on keeping it as trouble free as possible. I grew up operating tractors but that was a long time ago. I presently own a jd 5210 mfwd, jd350 dozer, and now a jcb 8029. The 8029 is quite a different animal. Much less stable than a tractor or dozer, especially in my hilly woods. I watched a youtube video put out by CAT ( https://www.youtube.com /watch?v=oRZbOMoeTx8) that got me wondering if I was using the machine properly. The video is about operating a machine 3 tons and under. My machine is 6300 #. I did get the stump out and I did try both blade positions. Blade in the front worked much better. I hope I am not starting one of those chevy ford discussions am I.

  8. #8seville0092019-12-14 19:26

    that’s what i do, otherwise the excavator rocks too much. Blade also helps keep rocks and dirt in the front

  9. #9CM19952019-12-14 23:54

    HALSJCB I wasn't poking at your question or 92U - we've have some spirited debates on digging over the idlers or drive motors, not as spirited as which excavator pattern is better - that one is always a barn burner... I was just being a smart ass.. My preference is blade in down in front as it gives the machine more resistance when digging. Of course there are many situations where the blade is beneficial behind you such as working on slopes where you can level the machine. When I'm breaking up asphalt or concrete the blade is up front working as brake. Usually the asphalt or concrete will shear under the blade. The blade is also useful to raise the machine up in order to get a little more reach when loading trucks.

  10. #10John Canfield2019-12-15 09:07

    And just one more tidbit - the drive motors are much heavier than the idlers so the weight on your stern is an advantage when digging or lifting. If something like a tree stump is too large to pick straight up, pull it into your raised blade. I've moved a couple of very large stumps with that method.

  11. #11RTSmith2019-12-18 15:21

    Local Cat field guy said his crew recommends that in hard pack, blade to rear as the extra effective length to tracks can give you more downforce pressure with the bucket. Surprised me to hear they'd recommend over the drives... I find in general digging with a large full bucket, my 307 can get tipsy without a down blade in front. You can get a lot of heavy clay in a 36" bucket.

  12. #12Mike_IUOE2019-12-22 14:18

    I was taught in harder materials put the blade to the rear and down. It moves the tipping axis and gives you a bit more down pressure on the bucket without lifting the front of the machine. In softer materials put it wherever suits you best. If you're just hoggin dirt with quick cycle times its probably best in the front and down to give the machine a bit more stability

  13. #13suladas2019-12-23 00:08

    Always prefer blade in front, keeps material away from machine also. The only time I switch is if it's a quick few buckets instead of spinning around, or deep digging where the blade is in the way for visibility.

  14. #14PeterG2019-12-24 12:31

    I pretty much always like to dig, grade, lift, or load with the blade in front. If I'm reaching up a hill to dig, lift, or load I can have the blade in either direction. If I'm digging a deep hole, then I have the blade in back once I get deep. I also use the blade sideways when grading with my wide bucket. I bought a Stabila magnetic level that I stick on the cab floor in front of the foot pedals and I will use the blade to put me level or at say a 2 percent slope.

  15. #15jamie_aug2020-01-21 04:15

    It depends. Most of the time blade front, especially if pulling something heavy out of the hole.

  16. #16centerline2020-02-09 20:48

    it really doesnt matter which end you dig over.... or you can park the carbody sideways and dig over the track.... personally I dont like the blade in the way, but when im picking up a pile, I will use the blade as a bumper to help fill the bucket...

  17. #17Steve Frazier2020-02-09 22:25

    I prefer digging over the blade because the machine is more stable but if it's just a couple buckets I'll dig the other way rather than taking the time to turn the machine twice, especially if I'm on grass I don't want torn up.