Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Removing swivel housing.

Canadian_digger · 2019-12-12 18:05

Going to be pulling out my leaking swivel housing tomorrow. Anything I need to know. Looks pretty straight forward. 2017 Bobcat E32R. Only 987hrs

Replies16
  1. #1DMiller2019-12-12 18:26

    Is called a Rotary Joint, Mark EVERY Hose, even consider a Road Map layout to get them back on correctly. Photos will be your friend.

  2. #2Tags2019-12-12 18:34

    Man that sucks, sorry you have to go through that with such low hours. Like Dmiller said take lots O pics. Also you could probably grab some colored zip ties to mark everything with, you don't want to get it all back together and realize two hoses got swapped....

  3. #3John C.2019-12-12 19:17

    Now that is an ugly looking job. I don't think I have a wrench that could loosen some of those bolts on top. Looks like you have to do them in order. Out here we call them swivels to

  4. #4Ronsii2019-12-12 20:04

    Wow!!! hard to believe it's leaking with not even a thousand hours makes you wonder why??? although I do see Made in Mexico on some of those parts....

  5. #5Canadian_digger2019-12-12 22:14

    I’m lucky most Hoses are colour coded with tape from the factory. I’m just going to take notes on paper which ones go where. Bobcat told me it’s an 8hrs job to swap it out so it will be interesting to see how long it takes me. I will be getting a local hydraulic shop to replace the seals for me. Brand new from bobcat is $2700 Canadian.

  6. #6willie592019-12-12 22:28

    Replace that o-ring boss Tee fitting at the bottom of the swivel. Looking at the position of the locking nut I can assure you the steel o-ring washer is distorted. Replace that fitting and make sure you install it correctly unlike the person at the assembly line that didn't.

  7. #7Bls repair2019-12-13 12:50

    Getting caps for hyd lines? Create vacuum in hyd tank with shop vac to keep oil from running all over the place. Keep hose out of oil .

  8. #8Canadian_digger2019-12-13 13:28

    Got it out. Took around two hours.

  9. #9mikebramel2019-12-14 12:58

    Willie is right, the jam nut looks too far up the fitting. Might be all that is leaking

  10. #10willie592019-12-14 19:27

    I've seen it a number of times over my many years on fittings right from the assembly line. Adjustable o-ring boss fittings have to be installed correctly, if not failure is all but certain, and that one is definitely not installed correctly.

  11. #11Canadian_digger2019-12-15 11:09

    I made sure to clean up all the oil with brake cleaner so everything was perfectly clean and dry. Then ran the mini and right always seen oil coming from the swivel joint.

  12. #12Tugger22019-12-15 12:03

    Every time i work on my 303 Cat it makes me think those minis are twice the size when built and then are put into a magic press and squashed into mini size. I had to pull the boom off mine to change a boom cyl. hose.A bit late for you but If you come across any telephone cable with those tiny multi colored wires a 1 ft chunk will give you a life times worth of color code markers .

  13. #13murphy7772019-12-23 12:36

    I did the swivel on my bobcat 323 a few years ago...I think I barely had 1500 hrs on it... it was a pain to get at...I ended up re placing all the seals I think the kit was about 300-400$, and ended up hiring a mechanic to come to my shop to pull it, clean it up and re install it it took him about 45 min to pull it, took it to his shop to clean and rebuild, then cam back and re installed it I think he charged me about 600 bucks total, maybe even less, it seemed like the whole process took him around 5-6 hrs with driving....2700$ from a shop sounds pretty steep. But I guess I am always surprised at job costs etc. Good luck hope its all fixed up!

  14. #14Nige2019-12-23 17:04

    Didn’t you know that they run them through a bath of hot water and shrink them when they leave the production line.? A bit like everyone used to shrink their Levi’s to fit years ago....

  15. #15Canadian_digger2019-12-23 21:23

    I got it back from the hydraulic shop today. Cost me around $600 for the rebuild. Just need to reinstall.

  16. #16willie592019-12-23 21:27

    I'd rather do a rotary joint on a 300 class excavator than do one on a mini. All mini ex's are 10 lbs of crap stuffed into a 5 lb sack.