Okay we purchased a new 2013 year S650 cab (non hi-flo) 91 package interm tier 3 kubota machine last year. It has been a solid skid steer and has performed in every job we have thrown at it. Snow blowing, boulder hauling, loader work, fork lift etc etc.. We only have 100 hrs on it and we have an opportunity to pick up a new Cat 272D2 CCE machine at basically a steal. Being the cat is 10-15 hp more and has a higher lift rating I just don't know if it is the right move. I spent an hour in one today and like the controls, noise level in the cab, and overall control function layout. I don't like the exposed wiring harness behind the cab, the manual plate release levers, or the door clearance (I will break that door in a week). But as the specs say it will lift more and it does have more HP. I am not a professional operator by any means but I can make this bobcat dance, it is a good unit. I am hoping someone on the forum has had experience in these new cat machines that can give me real info on performance, reliability, and overall running costs. And to answer the question up front it's the end of year and I can either buy another machine or upgrade our existing machine by trading it in. (I don't need two machines)..
I'm sure pafarmer will chime in to bless the Cat I'm probably not really comparing apples to apples, but having ran both Cat and Bobcat track loaders (299D XHP and T770) I prefer the Bobcat, mainly for the cab and controls. Ours is a 2014, and the controls are the best I have ever ran. That being said, I think over a lifetime, the Cat will out-live the Bobcat. We only put a few hundred hours a year on it, so in 5 or 7 years if the 770 is showing signs of being slopped out in 2000 hrs, our next one will be a Cat. Unless Kubota gets in the game and puts a cab as nice as a Bobcat or Cat on their machines. Then I will have a Kubota.
I hereby bless the " Almighty Cat" If longterm Quality , resale value, state of the art hydro's, backup cameras, and all around CTL legendary greatness is important to you, get the CAT. If you Like pissing your money away , choose any of the others on the market......and don't come bitching to me when it's falling apart at 1500 hours.... The TAK is a powerhouse of a machine as well...Really like the TL12....Little rough in the ride Dept but a beast of a unit in the Woods ! OK, serious now. The new CAT's are great machines. The cabs are very comfortable, get the heated air suspension seat, get ride control and depending on your intended use get the Return to Dig option. Our CAT all outperform the rating published by CAT. They are extremely reliable and are very well backed. I can get any part needed in 24 hours or less. We rarely need parts and if we do it's because one on my Monkeys did something really dumb. Resale is outstanding. Our machines are used hard and we are getting 5000 plus hours trouble free, try that with a Bobcat....I have owned almost every other brand and choose CAT for all of the above reasons. I was a loyal Bobcat man for 25 plus years and will never go back based on brake downs and a complete lack of dealer and corporate backing. My 2 cents....
PAFarmer the unit we are looking at is a wheeled machine not a track. That said is there any input on that? Thanks
Same machine for all practical purposes. One has tires the other tracks...everything else is identical...all the same comments would apply. CAT makes a quality peice of iron period !
If you have only put 50 hours a year on the 650 why would you want to buy a new one? Just curious.
I am always looking at making our equipment better stronger and I try to keep the value up by turning machines often. I have a Cat 305.5 mini and would like to try their skid steer, plus I've since moved to Montana where we don't pay sales tax. I just do not know anything about this 272d cat machine and don't want to buy a headache.