Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Winch on Rear of S300 Wanting to install

richm · 2015-12-30 14:21

I need to install a winch on the rear of my s300 so i can pull myself out when snow plowing. I am now a one man show, My help went off to college and don't want to rely on neighbors. If any one has done this can the please post photos!!! Found a few on the internet made from oil field pipe and fitting looks like a clean job, and on of this forum with a front bumper mounted, great idea but looking for something a little cleaner. Thanks

Replies13
  1. #1Tones2015-12-30 15:59

    Just a tip richm, if you get a Warn winch be aware that you can't dead pull against it or it will smash the brake. A pinion drive winch don't have have this problem. Over here that brake assembly on a 12000lb winch cost $1000 plus you can't wind up the rope.

  2. #2cdm1232015-12-30 18:39

    What are you planning on getting stuck in that you can't push your self out with the bucket?:beatsme

  3. #3DIYDAVE2015-12-30 20:57

    Debt is the one thing, that I can think of...

  4. #490plow2015-12-30 21:05

    My skid steer gets high sided once in a while and I could see using a winch but why not mount it to your truck you drive to the site?

  5. #5DDoug2015-12-31 08:13

    Oh I've dumped it over the side of the ditch twice so far.....What I need to do is remember to put on a rat tail before I start. Digging thru snow and mud to hook up a chain in a howling blizzard is over-rated on the fun scale....

  6. #6richm2015-12-31 13:57
  7. #7richm2015-12-31 14:05

    so above is a picture of my bobcat with a blower on the front. This was about 6 yrs ago There is NO way to use the blower to get myself out, I could not go forward. I hooked 2 - 30 foot snatch ropes up to the bobcat and truck and was able to get out. I had help so this was not a problem, if this were to happen today I am F-ed as I dont have help. The road edge is now marked with 1/4" fiberglass rods every 75 feet or so identifying the road edge.. Thanks for the comments on the Warn winch. Happy new year Rich

  8. #8DDoug2015-12-31 14:06

    Eggzachery ! Only get it in over a steeper bank, more mud involved (quickly freezing) and horizontal snow in your face at all times....

  9. #9TriHonu2015-12-31 18:40

    There are some pictures in the Pics-of-Rear-Drawbar-Hitch-Winch-for-SSLs-CTLs thread.

  10. #10cdm1232015-12-31 19:09

    Makes sense now Happy New Year every one!

  11. #11Jonas3022015-12-31 21:36

    the winch on a truck idea is a good one looking at the back of the skid that would not be a very happy place for a winch to live we have one mounted to fit in a receiver hitch with long cables so its not dedicated to one vehicle

  12. #12CRAFT2016-01-03 17:40

    Here You Go !!! ….. Tried, tested and Proven !!! …… It a Warn #14000 (An Oldy) c/w bumper off of an 'ol '95 Chevy … they were a narrower body so the bumper wouldn't fit anything newer …. It was the perfect width for my A-300 @76" wide …… the whole bumper and winch swing out in 1 min to access the engine comp …. I used the weight kit off of my old JD skid when I traded it in (kept it) so it made my install less complicated ….. As Posted above ??? ….What would you be plowing you can't use the bucket to push your self out ??? ….*** REALLY !!! … you must stick to the flat lands then !!! …. LMFAO … Happy New Year ALL !!! …. Cheers !!!

  13. #13CRAFT2016-01-03 17:59

    Some More pics …. AND one more good reason to have a Winch !!! …… WHO Plows with a Bucket ??? … When you can Plow 11' wide !!! …… LMAO