Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Direct drive transmission

micbare ยท 2009-04-10 22:43

Does anyone still make a direct drive transmission D6, D7, D8 size dozer? If not what year did Cat stop selling them? Did Komatsu ever bring over any in the 65, 85 or 155 size?:beatsme

Replies2
  1. #1dieseldave2009-04-10 23:29

    There was a direct drive D6R at a local auction a couple of years ago. The Lyons (auction company) guy gave us permission to use it to move some stuff around, and I couldn't understand why it kept stalling until I figured out that it didn't have a converter. ointhead The D41 in the pic is a direct drive machine I ran for awhile. The D150 was the DD version of the 155, but that was a long time ago, I don't know if they offer a direct drive version now.

  2. #2LonestarCobra2009-04-11 09:37

    Cat still builds a direct drive. It is a powershift, rather than a gear to gear box like they used to be. I have seen a few D6H and D6R models with it. I would assume that it is probably something you would have to order as most dealers wont keep one in stock for sale. They are better for plowing and stuff that requires a heavy load over an extended period. The D6D (3X Series) is my favorite DD tractor for grubbing Mesquites and such.