Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Direct wire to alternator

troyharnish ยท 2011-01-24 17:07

I have a Case 580K with electrical issues; Someone who owned it before me clipped a bunch of wires off for almost everything, so no lights, heater blower, wiper, etc.. I would hazard that the alternator went, and the machine kept running down, so they thought there was a draw somewhere. Alternator & batteries replaced, everything works fine, except for all the cut wires I can't seem to track down. I wanted to wire a 12 volt plug into the cab with minimum fuss to get me by until Spring, when warmer weather makes chasing after these issues a little more pleasant (as I write this, it is -24 C plus windchill, or -11 F for those of you who prefer Fahrenheit). Does anyone think it is OK/ safe to wire up a power socket direct to the alternator output for a temporary fix? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Replies1
  1. #1koldsteele2011-01-24 18:07

    If need a 12 volt power source off the battery or Hot wire off the Alternator thats fine just make sure to fuse it ..Either Fuseable link wire or inline fuse holder..