Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dirty injector or??

Eric a1cnc · 2020-11-30 23:14

I had a chance sunday to start my case 350 with a 188d for the first time since rebuilding the engine and the injection pump. At first it was only running on 3 cylinders. I sprayed a tiny bit of ether in the air near the intake and the 4th cylinder cleared up. It would rev up fine after that until I shut it off. It started fine but same thing was running on 3 for a while until it cleared up. I tried bleeding it while it was running and I had no air but it still took a long time for #1 to run correctly. I am thinking a dirty or bad injector. Does that sound likely? Clean fresh fuel, new filters. No Air in the lines. I was running a remote tank with clear lines so I could see.

Replies15
  1. #1Welder Dave2020-12-01 00:24

    Switch injectors and see if the problem moves to a different hole or have injector(s) tested. Could a line be loose or have a tiny air leak?

  2. #2thepumpguysc2020-12-01 02:12

    Please Don’t run it like that.. A stuck closed injector WILL seize the pump.!! & THATS big $$$.. I would just replace all the injectors... the part # is stamped on the injectors.. or if u have a service manual, it’s in there..

  3. #3Eric a1cnc2020-12-01 08:45

    The part number on the injector is 18054J9 I have found inexpensive injectors online that list they are 18054 compatible. Does the j9 mean anything?

  4. #4Tinkerer2020-12-01 08:51

    Be careful when buying cheap injectors on-line. I bought some once. They were rebuilt junk. They didn't last for 50 hours. OEM for me after that waste of hard earned cash !

  5. #5thepumpguysc2020-12-01 09:51

    The “j9” doesn’t mean anything to me.. The 18054 is superseded by: 20671 The 18054 case # is: A37836 The case # for the 20671 is: A140829 Good luck in your search.. BTW I don’t sell parts.

  6. #6Eric a1cnc2020-12-01 17:15

    I changed out the #1 injector today for another one I had. It definitely runs better and not smoky. I kind of wonder about the timing though, When I give it full throttle from idle it will rev up but takes a while. If I drop the blade in gear from Idle and give it throttle it won't really rev up. I am not burying the blade, basically just touching the ground.

  7. #7Eric a1cnc2020-12-02 10:15

    New cheap injectors on the way, pop off tester on the way. I noticed the injector pump seems to be rotated pretty much all the way to one side and the dozer acts like a gas engine with retarded timing. When I set the pump I had lined up the marks in the injection pump and the #1 piston was pretty near tdc. I did not find any timing marks on the flywheel or front pulley to verify I was starting in the right place. I had the head off so I know #1 was right near tdc. Would turning the pump a bit possibly help or should I just wait till I get the new injectors and see if that fixes it?

  8. #8Tinkerer2020-12-02 14:47

    It is unusual for the pump to be turned extreme left or right on the mounting studs. The service manual does not specify the timing. It says to look in the operators manual or for a decal on the valve cover. Did you look in the port for the timing marks on the flywheel ?

  9. #9Eric a1cnc2020-12-02 15:50

    Engine decal says 8Btdc. I did look in the viewport. The timing pointer is broken off and the flywheel is rusty. The only thing I saw was some rectangular raised bosses on the flywheel but they weren't near where the timing should have been. Next time I have it running I may turn it a little bit and see what happens.

  10. #10Tinkerer2020-12-02 17:09

    There is always a chance some dummy has put the timing gears off one tooth. That is why the timing marks need to be located and cleaned up, so you can use them.

  11. #11Eric a1cnc2020-12-02 20:06

    Any suggestions on something that will fit through the inspection window to clean the rusty flywheel?

  12. #12Tinkerer2020-12-03 11:05

    A rotating wire brush in a drill ???

  13. #13Dave Neubert2020-12-03 17:08

    Move the pump and see if it runs better does it have visible smoke at a idle if so timing is most likely off

  14. #14thepumpguysc2020-12-04 11:26

    DO NOT ROTATE the pump w the engine running.!! The timing needs to be addressed w the engine OFF.. If your having trouble seeing the marks.. make a scratch mark on the pump housing & block to reff. your starting position.. THEN move the pump & LOCK IT BACK DOWN BEFORE starting the engine..

  15. #15Eric a1cnc2020-12-04 11:35

    Thanks for the info. I did make a mark. I rotated it so the bolt is more centered and it ran a little better but still is sluggish off idle. Hopefully have my new injectors and tester next week. Hopefully going to get a compression tester this weekend and I want to just make sure there isn't something strange going on. It has all new liners, pistons and rings so it SHOULD be fine but I need to eliminate all the possibilities I guess. I had the head planed but hey the head gasket might not have sealed correctly. Sigh Somewhere i read if the advance wasn't working it could run something like this, any truth to that?