Help, please. I have a 1997 CAT 426C that is at a remote location and could be a target for theft. The old trick of removing the distributor cap from my car worked but what about my backhoe? What is an effective, easily reversed method to prevent/hamper theft of my machine? I'm aware of Lojack and GPS locators. Lojack doesn't cover my area - GPS is a possibility, but I loathe recurring monthly expenses. I'd much rather just disable the machine. Any bright ideas? PS: If anyone has a ASV SR70 or RC60 they'd like to sell to me at a steep discount I'm waiting to hear from you.
Hidden shut off switch in the wire going to the injection pump, or hidden shut off valve in the fuel supply line. Either is useless if somebody brings a trailer and winch. Maybe a game camera would be helpful then.
Or a battery disconnect switch hidden somewhere as well. X2. If you are worried, make sure you have insurance on it, as it's really the final security. If a thief really wants it, they'll get it.
The game camera,,,, at least it gives law enforcement something to go on.
on the JCB if you remove the relevant fuse for transmission, this works
I have a battery theft problem in Masontown, PA, and, the units We made theft resistant have either been turned upside down (IHI IC70) or, I fear, will be set on fire.
I have seen way too many times that if they can't steal it they will destroy it. A thief that is really good at what he does will find how you disabled it and defeat it. Is trailering to a secure location feasible at all ? Hopefully you have insurance on it that would cover theft and / or damage in a remote area. Even if it had a GPS tracking device there is a chance it would be found and disabled. Especially easy if it uses the battery that powers the machine.
I lived on an island for 20 tears and ran a marine business from my home. Every winter crooks would pass through the area and rob boats. They would use scuba gear and at night swim up to docks and cut the lines and silently swim away with the boat. Faced with this at my dock I went out and bought 20 personal alarms, these are the small key chain alarms that sound off when you pull the pin. (130DB) I put several on each boat using 20# test fish line that can't be seen. My thought was that if anyone cut the line and pulled the boat away from the dock at least 3 alarms would go off. I also figured it would scare the thieves away and wake me up. I just bought 3 more last week to place on my utility trailer cover when we head up to NC next week. We will stay over night in a motel and if anyone tries to uncover the trailer the alarms will sound, they are loud. SO, you might want to rig up about 10 of these all over your machine as a deterrent hoping it would scare some thieves away. It is pretty hard to try and rob something with alarms blasting all over. Remember, crooks are real dumb and once the pins are pulled it would take lots of time to figure out how to find the pins and put them back. http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/product/130db+personal+alarm.do?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_search&utm_campaign=google_product&gclid=CM2J9oO66LYCFUOe4Aod3VsAaA
I have seen a few of these around, It locks the outrigger in the down position. It makes it really tough to drive with the outrigger down and a wheel off the ground http://www.equipmentlock.com/stabilizer_home.asp
About $200. US dollars......key pad replaces ignition switch you have three tries to start it. if not it locks out start signal till password is typed....
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Hydraulic-Brake-Lock/1769685/10002/-1 http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Stage-Control-Solenoid-Valve/751391/10002/-1 Fit these to the brake lines....................
Park it a neibours house or remove a wheel
Some great ideas, thank you very much. May this help others too. I've been a sitting duck for years and sooner or later it's bound to happen. I was hoping though, that someone could point me to a heat-seeking laser that just vaporizes bad guys. Who needs 'em? One thought on the stabilizer lock. I could see a crook either removing the whole stabilizer or getting pissed and pouring glue into the lock. Probably the smartest thing is just put it on my neighbor's property as they are always there. That really sucks about the boats and diver-crooks. I've long wondered if terrorists aren't learning scuba. Ain't life interesting?