Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Disappearing gear oil

ZaxisMac ยท 2015-09-26 16:09

I'm having a slight problem with my New Holland B110 losing its transmission oil. It's a 2007 machine with the powershift transmission, and over the last 3-4 months I have been having to top up the gear oil (ATF Dexron III) every few weeks. There is no signs of it leaking anywhere, the machine is completely dry underneath. It seems to happen suddenly, the oil level can be perfect one day and the next day there will be nothing at all showing on the dipstick, and if I start the machine there will be a slight squealing noise from the transmission and it takes 4-5 litres of oil to get it back to its proper level. I have removed the plug from the flywheel housing a couple of times but it appears to be completely dry in there as well. Has anyone heard of a similar problem or have any suggestions as to where the oil could be going? Thanks in advance

Replies8
  1. #1lantraxco2015-09-26 16:47

    If I'm looking at the right variation, the only place it can go would be the hydraulic tank, check the level. Only place I can see it could possibly transfer would be to suck it in through the hydraulic pump shaft seal. I'm just looking at a parts book so there may be other possibilities I'm not seeing.

  2. #2ZaxisMac2015-09-26 17:20

    Thanks for the quick reply, I'll check that out next time I'm at the machine. Could ATF in the hydraulic oil cause the hydraulics to run hot? I have been feeling they are running hotter than they used to. There is no temp gauge for the hyd oil but it gets uncomfortably warm in the cab with the spool block underneath and I can't hold my hand on the backhoe cylinders with the heat if I have been using it for a while. I had never noticed it running that warm until the last few months so there could be a connection? Thanks again

  3. #3lantraxco2015-09-26 17:32

    As a guess yes, seems to me ATF would be thinner than hydro. Being overfull, if it is, won't help either.

  4. #4joe--h2015-09-26 20:19

    3 or 4 months X 4 or 5 liters = every few (2?) weeks = 6 x 4 liters = 24 liters or 8 x 5 liters = 40 liters. No way that much ATF is in the hydraulic reservoir, it would be pissing out the top.

  5. #5lantraxco2015-09-26 21:04

    Yup, so where else on that machine can it go, if there's no signs of external leakage? :beatsme Or it's not that much in total, the hydro tank was on the low side to start with, and it's chock full now, but not blowing out the breather yet? Insufficient data. Cheers, Lanway

  6. #6Blueboy2015-09-26 21:42

    :iagree

  7. #7ZaxisMac2015-09-27 08:04

    Looking at all the empty ATF bottles I have lying around I would say it's taken around 17.5 litres since this problem started. I'll double check the hyd level, all the oils and filters were changed a couple of months ago and so long as I have been seeing hyd oil in the sight glass I haven't thought twice about it.

  8. #8hosspuller2015-09-27 12:17

    Does your ATF have the red dye ? If 17 litres of ATF are in any system, the red dye would show its presence.