Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 680 won’t start

ps66x4 · 2015-09-26 13:03

Started this on my old thread and now I'm moving it to a new one. I don't know the CCA of the new battery Since there's been some confusion expressed below about whether this should be in its own thread, or in the original thread about the machine's hydraulic problem, I've copied the post about the starting problem to this thread. Hopefully that'll get everyone on the same page, figuratively speaking. Digger242j

Replies25
  1. #1Dickjr.2015-09-26 14:22

    It won't turn over or just won't start. Is it a newer 680 that uses the 5.9 or what?

  2. #2ps66x42015-09-26 14:56

    It is a 4 cyl and I think it is from the 70's 680ck

  3. #3Dickjr.2015-09-26 15:18

    what is it doing?

  4. #4ps66x42015-09-26 15:23

    cranking over but wont start not even with a little either

  5. #5Dickjr.2015-09-26 17:05

    Have you had it running , if so you more than likely have a fuel problem. Either you have a blockage in the line or the kill lever on the pump is engaged. Was it running before?

  6. #6ps66x42015-09-26 17:17

    It was running but the boom cyl leaked so bad that my brother removed the cyl to get fixed. I fixed the cyl with help from some members on here. When he got it back together It would not start. It hasn't run in well over a year maybe two, I don't know for sure.

  7. #7Tinkerer2015-09-26 17:43

    You aren't helping your cause by starting a new thread. That makes it hard to follow your progress and help you.

  8. #8ps66x42015-09-26 18:02

    I may have misunderstood someone stated I should start a new tread.

  9. #9digger242j2015-09-26 18:56

    Not a big deal. I've edited the opening post to help clarify.

  10. #10ps66x42015-09-26 19:08

    Thank you

  11. #11Tinkerer2015-09-26 21:07

    Thanks Digger !

  12. #12lantraxco2015-09-26 21:14

    What you removed from the injectors sounds like the return fittings, thanks for not messing with the injector popoff settings, if you had it would be time to pull them and have an injection shop reset them. The steel lines from the injection pump going into the side of the injector body, loosen the tube nut on each one about a turn, and then crank it, see if you get some fuel there. Do NOT put your hand near these lines when cranking, diesel under the skin is an emergency room visit at least! If you don't get any fuel or at least air bubbles there, then the problem is probably injection pump shutoff or something internal to the pump.

  13. #13Tinkerer2015-09-26 21:16

    Up to 1974 it would have a Case 301cubic inch diesel. In 1975 The 680E series came out and had a Case 336 cubic inch diesel. The Bosch injector pumps have a manual priming pump on them.

  14. #14Delmer2015-09-26 22:24

    HeavyEquipmentForums Here's the other thread. The questions from 2 YEARS AGO have been answered. I did a similar one today, replied to a question on the last post of page 1 only to see later that it had already been answered on page 2. I didn't realize this was a 680, and everybody takes a different angle on this one. The more eyes the better sometimes, and sometimes too many chefs spoil the soup.

  15. #15Tinkerer2015-09-27 17:30

    ps66x4; You should be getting a really good flow of fuel out of the filter bleeders (#8 in the diagram) with just the key on and the electric lift pump running. Do you ?

  16. #1696_Bear2015-09-27 18:03

    Even with my pump being out 31 degree's my would fire and run with ether. I wonder if since it did sit so long if mice didn't build a nest inside air cleaner or intake manifold. I had to remove mine and get a nest out of it before I fired it up.

  17. #17Tinkerer2015-09-29 08:00

    Also be very certain that the "O" ring (#7) is on the stem of the primary filter mount.

  18. #18zbo22015-09-29 23:31

    pull a valve cover and make sure the cam isn't broken and that all the valves are operating......

  19. #19Dubin2020-02-01 13:06

    I’ve read through the post and needs some additional help. I have a case trencher 360. I bought it not running I put new fuel. Installed a new fuel filter and cleaned out the fuel bowl screen. Bled the fuel so that fuel squirts out of the injectors. Tighten everything back up. It tries to start, and even run for about a minute, then dies. Bled the system again. Still same issue. Pulled the injectors and hooked it up outside the cylinder and made sure it was getting a decent spray pattern. What am I missing ? Thanks

  20. #20alrman2020-02-01 15:56

    Welcome to HEF @Dubin There are various engines fitted to the 360 - do you know which one you have? Can you post pictures of it?

  21. #21Dubin2020-02-01 17:36

    F2L 1811F Deutz

  22. #22Coy Lancaster2020-02-02 23:20

    I would check fuel supply it sounds like it's starving for fuel.

  23. #23Delmer2020-02-02 23:35

    1011 maybe? didn't find any 1811. Take the fuel supply apart from the tank to the filter and check for blockages. If it ran for more than ten seconds, then the injectors are fine, don't mess with that. You'll probably find the issue in the fuel lines. Is there any safety device on this engine? like a temperature shutdown, or electric safety to shut it down, say after 60 seconds of not seeing what it wants to see? Look at the injector pump controls, should be fairly obvious if it's all mechanical, or electrical.

  24. #24Dubin2020-02-03 14:26

    Sorry your right, 1011 I do get fuel to the injectors when I crank it over. But today I will replace all the fuel lines. Some are cracked Maybe letting in air ? Not sure, but it will eliminate that possibility Thank you for your recommendations I’ll keep it posted as I work through this

  25. #25Dubin2020-02-06 14:40

    Update, I turn the crack using a ratchet. Couldn’t feel any resistance while turning it over. I pulled the injections and poured a little tranny fluid in each injector. My thought was rings were stuck. Next day, turned the engine over again without the injectors in. Put everything back together and it fired right up. But I changed the fuel lines at the same time. Anyways thanks a million for your help. I appreciate it