In all my years of repair and dealing with air brakes I don't remember there ever being a recall notice on drum brakes. But we received a recall notice on eight of our 2017 and 2018 tractors equipped disc brakes. It didn't give particulars on the problem. With ABS systems your not going to stop any faster drum or disc. If it doesn't have a problem don't create one with silly ideas. IMO I'm sure the disc brake lovers will have something to say. Truck Shop
I got out of trucking when they were coming into vogue. So I have never laid a finger on one. But coming from a fire truck background, some of the big cities were starting to use them because they had to have everything fancy. I remember there being a lot of complaints about a Duramaster brake. Rust jacking behind the pads. And on and on. The other mechanics hated them.
I had them on a 13 axle lowboy, several new trucks and LOVED THEM. Of course they had been out for several years by then. Less weight, maintenance and superior stopping power. Almost no fade due to heat. Had a few rotors crack early on but they cured that quickly. Overall I had a positive experience. Of course mine didn’t run day in and day out in all weather for hundreds of thousands of miles.
Or have firemen stomping the air treadle all the way down several times per trip, just to go to the grocery store. (Never mind how they drive if there is an actual fire.)