Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

hydraulic hose identification??

earthscratcher ยท 2018-12-04 22:09

when you tear into a piece of equipment and there are lots of different hydraulic lines that are taken off, what do you do to remember what goes where??

Replies8
  1. #1Shimmy12018-12-04 22:11

    Colored zipties or paint marker, if you're really fancy you could also have painted caps or plugs.

  2. #2Ct Farmer2018-12-04 22:49

    X2 on the colored zip ties. Paint marker works if you have one that works on oily surfaces. I also make a quick sketch- red goes here etc. - that sort of thing. I also note what both ends connect to just in case a tag gets lost. Hint - if you have a complete parts book for the machine that is a great source for figuring out where things go. It really saved me when a previous owner tried to change the control pattern on an excavator.

  3. #3Mobiltech2018-12-04 23:06

    Snap some pictures with cell phone. If you can get old underground phone line with lots of colored wires they work good too

  4. #4DARO2018-12-04 23:07

    I use 50 pair phone cable. I have a 2 foot long chunk. I also take pictures. Helps to remember what line gose on this/that side.

  5. #5hosspuller2018-12-04 23:21

    a marker, to put unique marks on the fittings. then a picture with the cell phone. quick and permanent... nothing to fall off or get lost.

  6. #6willie592018-12-04 23:33

    A center punch. The first connection, punch a dot on the hose nut and the fitting. Second connection, punch two dots on hose nut and fitting. Repeat for 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. Won't wash off in cleaning/handling. Permanent mark. More than 6 marks, plan B.

  7. #7RZucker2018-12-05 01:17

    I have a bunch of 5/16" flat washers stamped with numbers in pairs, 1-20. Zip ties or tie wire to attach them. Learned that trick on excavator swivels. Paint markers don't hold up to brake cleaner.

  8. #8John C.2018-12-05 09:54

    I have stamped caps and plugs with numbers to identify where things go. Sometimes its hard to have enough caps and plugs though.