Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ditch witch 5010 stump grinder?

Andyinchville ยท 2026-03-09 23:06

Hi all Have kind of a crazy question I guess ... Recently I had three large trees cut down ... By large I mean the stumps are probably about 40 inches in diameter including a little bit of the roots ... My original idea was to chainsaw the stump and gravel over everything... However the chainsaw gave out. I have a ditch witch 5010 chain trencher with rock teeth ... (I'll see if I can attach pictures).... As crazy as it sounds do you think I could use the trencher as a stump grinder ? Thanks Pics

Replies8
  1. #1smifwal2026-03-09 23:31

    I would think It will bounce and chatter at least that is what skid steer trench attachment does when it hits rock in a shallow trench

  2. #2HarleyHappy2026-03-10 10:47

    No. Never work. You could try and dig through the roots all around them, to loosen them up.

  3. #3Andyinchville2026-03-11 23:28

    Okay thanks for the input guys .... I was kind of leary of trying it and I didn't want to damage anything so thank you for your input.

  4. #4smifwal2026-03-12 15:24

    Holes in the side and one in the middle on the top and start a fire in the middle hole make sure the holes in the side connect to the hole in the middle to keep the fire going. Or you can use a 55 gal drum with the same concept

  5. #5HarleyHappy2026-03-13 11:26

    Just stack tires around the stump, fill with diesel and light!

  6. #6mowingman2026-03-13 11:30

    That does not work a lot of the time. I have seen that just make the stump that remains, much harder. Not sure why, but burning is not the answer. PS: I was in the stump grinding business for 20 years.

  7. #7HarleyHappy2026-03-13 11:33

    I was kinda joking, sarcasm is dead!

  8. #8smifwal2026-03-13 12:56

    You have to add a emoji