Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ditching

20/80 ยท 2014-09-07 10:21

Hello everyone, I thought I would start this new thread on ditching to see if anybody is at this kind of work now, would be nice to see some before and after pictures especially of the older hands work, and please give lots of tips, this is one my favorite things to do this time of year when its nice and dry, please bring it on!:canada

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies16
  1. #1Cat 140M AWD2014-09-09 07:22

    I will have some pictures of a ditiching project I'm doing yet this fall waiting for the farmers to get the crops out first will post when I start it.

  2. #2watglen2014-09-09 07:48

    I finally figured out how to dig a ditch the other day, by asking an operator on a roadside project. I was making the mistake of rolling the bucket to create a radius bottom ditch. It worked ok for large ditches, carrying lots of water. But for smaller ditches it moves too much dirt. Now, I do the same thing but keep above design grade about a foot. Then the last pass cuts down the far bank into a v bottom, then boom and stick up the near bank. Gives a nicely shaped smaller ditch with v bottom, without moving a mountain of dirt.

  3. #3Graderfan19812014-09-09 14:17

    I have found a longer video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZCzPpw8w4w I don't know if this helps.

  4. #4Cat 140M AWD2014-11-02 17:09

    I finally got to start doing some ditching the other day here's a few pics of how it looks when I finshed the ditches were silted in 2 ft above the road .

  5. #5Graderfan19812014-11-02 17:26

    The pictures are the wrong way I can't turn my head so extrem

  6. #6Cat 140M AWD2014-11-02 17:46

    Oops I don't know how they got turned upside down anyone know how to get them right side up?

  7. #7Graderfan19812014-11-02 18:02

    I have made it for you, i use a windows picture program, it goes fast:

  8. #8Cat 140M AWD2014-11-02 18:12

    Thanks Graderfan for getting them fixed for me.

  9. #920/802014-11-03 04:41

    What a nice job, what I wouldn't give to have soil like that to work with. Getting my grader geared up for winter works now, keep the pictures coming, the people you work for are very lucky to have you working for them thanks.

  10. #10Bluetop Man2014-11-03 13:48

    That was freaky, those trees in the background growing upside down. You should get a CAT grader operators manual. The old ones contained lots of info with pics on ditching and levee work, such as delivering a winrow between the wheels.

  11. #11Graderfan19812015-03-13 18:22

    Has someone more pictures from ditching jobs?

  12. #12CatGrader2015-09-03 10:12

    A few.

  13. #13CatGrader2015-09-11 06:04

    A few more. Not so much a ditch Just a bloody big hole. :drinkup

  14. #14Graderfan19812015-09-11 07:02

    Thanks for posting this photos I like photos from grader work

  15. #15CatGrader2015-09-11 07:52

    No worries mate. This one I ain't proud of lol but hey it happens to the best of us.

  16. #16Graderfan19812015-09-12 18:02

    yes when you have wet ground this can happen