Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

DIY Tool cases?

colson04 · 2020-12-31 09:32

Has anyone made their own tool cases for powertools or any tool that didnt come in a case? As I upgraded to the 20v DeWalt line from the 18volt line, I found the new tools come in bags or just a box instead of hard plastic cases like the previous line did. I also have some other tools that never came in a case that I would like to have a case for like my half inch hammer drill. So, who has made their own case? I know blank cases are available, but how did you go about making the molded interior so the tool doesn't just bounce around? Any thoughts, ideas or contributions appreciated.

Replies7
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-12-31 11:54

    Spray foam insulation. Just have to pack some something around it so the foam isn't too tight and you can cut it free ?? I did see somewhere that someone cut a foam cushion (like a chair cushion) . I think it was done with three layers. A solid, then another with the tool profile and then another solid piece.

  2. #2Coaldust2021-01-02 01:49

    I've tried many things over the years. Used the generic green ( later black) plastic Caterpillar cases that many of the special tool kits come in. Used the Caterpillar orange metal boxes. Added foam and 1/4" ply dividers. Surplus Ammo and rocket boxes, custom made aluminum boxes, and Rubbermade Action packers. This Rubbermade action packers are the bees knees. DeWalt system and the Rigid system are just meah. Not impressed. With that said, Milwaukee Packout for the Win.!! Kaizan foam inserts are awesome. Milwaukee is leading the industry with the Packout line. They are tough and easily modified and the aftermarket accessories available are taking off. They are manufactured in Israel, of all places. My oldest Packout pieces are two years old now and have as many airline frequent flyer miles as I do. Still are holding up great despite Alaska-style field service work. Homey D had some good sales before Christmas on them.

  3. #3Coaldust2021-01-02 01:51

    Here is the link. Good folks. https://kaizeninserts.com/

  4. #4hvy 1ton2021-01-02 02:28

    I've set up quite a few boxes with layered foam inserts. When I did the first couple I bought a 4x4 sheet of kaizen and had to cut it to fit the boxes before even getting to the tools. Kaizen Inserts solves problem that with CNC cut blocks for various off-the-shelf boxes. Last year I ditched my limited tstak inventory and moved over to packout boxes, organizers, and a couple bags. Last month, I bought a couple of the packout tool cases to get a couple specialty tools better organized. https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Storage-Solutions/PACKOUT/PACKOUT-Tool-Boxes/48-22-8450 I don't have any good pictures of my boxes, but here is the pro press I setup as a Christmas present for my buddy.

  5. #5crane operator2021-01-02 09:29

    I've got extra cases if you need some.

  6. #6Bluox2021-01-02 16:03

    The bad thing about that size bucket the handles will pull out when you fill them up with tools. I used to get the 2 1/2 gal. size at the bakery ,easier to pick up and handles stay on longer. The lumber yard buys deck screws in bulk buckets that are square have waterproof lids will stack and they give them away when they are empty that make dandy tool or part boxes. Bob

  7. #7Coaldust2021-01-03 02:38

    Crane Operator knows what’s up!