Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Do i have a problem on my 1845 case skid loader

happygolucky ยท 2018-08-27 08:19

Was using my loader and noticed oil leaking from the top of the left wheel casing going down a steep grade. noticed the plastic piece had slid back some how . I took the piece off and my reservoir was way over full. now I have had a hydraulic leak on my ram for quite a sell. we have had quite a bit of rain lately and can see how water got in there but is there any way oil can leak into that reservoir from the hydraulic system. the oil is really milky like moisture . I have since fixed the ram leak and in progress to drain the oil out and seal up the cover. I looked in the manual and cant see where any oil could come in from the system but just wanted your thoughts. thanks norm

Replies3
  1. #1heymccall2018-08-27 08:30

    Rain water mixed with that oil will make it milky, and over full. Drive motor output shaft leaking is the only way to put hydraulic oil in there. Drain the oil and then stall the travel motors against the parking brake to check for leaking. My money is on rain water only, and not a hydraulic leak.

  2. #2kshansen2018-08-27 10:07

    I agree on the rain being the most likely source. I would drain both sides to be safe and dump in a couple gallons of fuel oil flush them out. What I Liked doing was to block up machine with all four wheels off the ground and then just spin the wheels back and fourth for several minutes to mix things up good then drain the fueo oil out and let it drain for a couple hours then put fresh oil in. Those compartments only need about 5 quarts of oil in each side or about one inch deep, just enough for chains to pick it up and toss it around. Easy way to get all four wheels off the ground at once is on a hard surface get a couple blocks of wood a couple inches taller than the bottom of the chain case. Then use bucket to raise front end up so the rear end is almost on the floor then have someone slip the wood blocks under the chain cases on either side between the wheels. Then raise bucket and the machine will tip forward back to level with all wheels off the ground. This will also give you a bit more room to get drain bucket under chain case to drain the oil. Caution when draining the chain case oil make sure you putt the correct drain plugs. there should be two drain plugs at the back on each side. The forward one on each side would be for the chain cases. The rearward plugs are for fuel tank and hydraulic tank.

  3. #3happygolucky2018-08-27 17:21

    Thanks for the reply. im thinking more of rain water myself. I remember when I put new bearings and seals in that side I did overfill it but not by that much. these old machines are definitley a learning experience. thanks norm